Thornton Promoted To Vice President of PhantomsOctober 15, 2008 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Adirondack Phantoms
"Mike has a tremendous hockey and marketing background," said Luukko in making the announcement. "Combined with his knowledge of the Philadelphia region, his creativity, and his managerial skills, he is the perfect fit to lead the Phantoms."
In his new role, Thornton will oversee all sales, marketing, advertising, sponsorship sales, fiscal management and public relations for the club. He replaces Frank Miceli, who is leaving the team after 12 seasons to join Spurs Sports and Entertainment in San Antonio, TX.
In his previous three seasons with the Phantoms, Thornton was in charge of the team's communication efforts with the media. During that time, Thornton also handled team publications, player appearances, and served as the club's play-by-play voice on its Internet audio and video broadcasts.
Prior to coming to Philadelphia, Thornton was the Director of Communications for the AHL's Worcester IceCats for six seasons. While there, he handled public relations and broadcasting duties for the club, which at the time was the primary affiliate of the NHL's St. Louis Blues. Thornton has also worked in professional baseball and television broadcasting.
A graduate of SUNY-Fredonia, the 39-year-old Thornton resides in West Chester with his family.
The Phantoms resume their final season at the Wachovia Spectrum this Friday night, October 17 when the rival Hershey Bears make their first visit to Philadelphia at 7:05. It's Military Night at the Spectrum, with all current and retired members of the military receiving free admission with their military ID.
The best way for fans to secure a ticket for the final game on April 12, 2009 is to purchase either a game plan package or season tickets. Packages are available now in convenient blocks of 6, 10, 16, 20 and 40 games. Receiving an impressive list of exclusive benefits, discount prices and the same seat for each game begins at just $60!
American Hockey League Stories from October 15, 2008
- Rampage top Chicago 2-1 on Wednesday - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Slip By Wolves, 2-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Cable 14 To Broadcast 18 Bulldogs Games Live - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Sports Page is new IceHogs viewing destination - Rockford IceHogs
- Nikita Filatov Recalled by Columbus; Derek MacKenzie Expected to Miss Four-to-Six Weeks - Syracuse Crunch
- Campaign Throw-down in C-Town - Lake Erie Monsters
- Annual Monarchs Care Golf Invitational A Success - Manchester Monarchs
- Styx to Perform at Kohl's/Miller Lite Classic Rock Night March 28 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Griffins Kick Off Home Schedule With Three-Game Stand - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Thornton Promoted To Vice President of Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- 2009 AHL All-Star Classic tickets on sale Saturday - Worcester Sharks
- River Rats Announce 2008-09 Promotional Schedule - Albany River Rats
- Aeros' right wing Clutterbuck recalled by Minnesota Wild - Houston Aeros
- Worcester Sharks Make Several Roster Moves - Worcester Sharks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.