Bombers Get Everblades Trio in TradeAugust 14, 2008 - ECHL (ECHL) - Dayton Bombers
"A request was made from Tifu's agent to be traded and we obliged," McDonald said. "Tifu will be going to a great organization in Florida and hopefully the move will benefit his career. In return, we targeted quality players that are young with good character, and that's exactly what we got with Czech, Lukin and McLean. They will be a great addition to the nucleus of our team."
Defenseman Czech has been with the Everblades since the 2005-06 season and has appeared in 136 games, picking up 30 points (7g,23a) and 145 PIM. He's also appeared in 27 ECHL post-season games, including the 2007 American Conference Finals against the Bombers. He was a four-year defenseman for the University of Minnesota-Duluth, playing in 164 career games before turning pro. The Minnesota native also played two seasons in the USHL between Rochester, Waterloo and Topeka.
Centerman Jarret Lukin is only one of two players to appear in all 72 regular season games plus playoffs for the Everblades last year, where he tallied 10 goals and 20 assists. Joining Florida late in the 2006-07 season, Lukin has 48 points in 98 career professional games. During the 2007 American Conference Finals he skated in six games against the Bombers.
Lukin, who hails from Fort McMurray, Alberta, turned pro after two seasons at the University of Calgary and five years in the Western Hockey League. Lukin had a breakout season in 2002-03 with the WHL's Kamloops Blazers when he had 32 goals and 42 assists in 65 games.
Winger Mike McLean was acquired by the Everblades in a trade from the Elmira Jackals early in the 2007-08 season. He finished the season with 9 goals and 15 assists and 30 PIM.
Prior to turning pro, the Oshawa, Ontario native spent four seasons in the Ontario Hockey League with Oshawa and Guelph. His best junior season came in 2006-07 when he notched a career-high 58 points (29g, 29a) as the captain of the Guelph Storm. Overall during his junior career in the OHL McLean tallied 106 points (46g, 60a) in 239 games.
"Lukin's a guy with great intensity and skill, McLean will contribute offensively and Czech I've heard nothing but good things about his solid defensive abilities," McDonald said.
Save the date! The Bombers will open their 2008-09 campaign at the Nutter Center on Saturday, October 18 against the rival Cincinnati Cyclones! Discounted tickets for groups of 10 or more are available by calling (937) 775-4747.
ECHL Stories from August 14, 2008
- Condors Select-A-Seat Party coming up August 22 - Bakersfield Condors
- Jackals announce initial signings - Elmira Jackals
- Jackals and Senators to join forces - Elmira Jackals
- Jackals get a new voice - Elmira Jackals
- Royals and Jackals Go At It Again in Pre-Season Match-Ups - Reading Royals
- T-Devils Announce Preseason Schedule - Trenton Devils
- Bombers Get Everblades Trio in Trade - Dayton Bombers
- Blades trade for Bombers' Tifu - Florida Everblades
- Rays Re-Release 2008-09 Schedule - South Carolina Stingrays
- Deschamps Returns to Sea Wolves Blueline for 2008-09 - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Royals 2008-09 Schedule Slightly Revised - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Reading Program Returns for 6th Season - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Falcons Agree to Terms with Coghlan, Patrosso - Fresno Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.