Mulvey Dominates R-BravesApril 17, 2008 - International League (IL) - Rochester Red Wings
Both teams were held scoreless until the third inning when, after Jason Pridie hit a one-out single, Brian Buscher deposited a Bueno offering into the right field bullpen to make the score, 2-0.
The R-Braves answered back in the fifth when Jason Anderson singled into center to score Clint Sammons making the score, 2-1.
After seven innings of work, Mulvey exited in favor of reliever Mariano Gomez. Along with only allowing six hits, Mulvey (2-1) struck out nine batters, the highest total for any Red Wings pitcher this season. Bueno (0-1) worked the same amount of innings while allowing nine hits and striking out four.
Heading into the game, Gomez had 10 straight retired batters dating back to his last relief appearance on April 13. Gomez continued that streak into Thursday's game, setting down the first three R-Braves he faced.
The top of the ninth was a little bit more shaky.
Designated hitter Barbaro Canizares nearly hit a lead-off triple to the right-centerfield gap. After the ball caromed off of Darnell McDonald's glove, Pridie relayed the ball to Howie Clark who then threw it to Matt Macri for the tag.
Gomez, who earned his first save of the season, retired two of the last three batters after Canizares.
International League Stories from April 17, 2008
- Knights Boss' Around Yankee Pitching - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls outburst not long enough in loss to Columbia - Durham Bulls
- Pearce leads Indians to 5-4 win over Pawtucket - Indianapolis Indians
- Norfolk wins in 11 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons To Host Brian Dux Night On Friday - Buffalo Bisons
- Mulvey Dominates R-Braves - Rochester Red Wings
- Wings Slip Past Braves - Gwinnett Braves
- International League News and Notes - IL
- Syracuse at Buffalo - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.