Drive Sink Captains, 5-1July 30, 2007 - South Atlantic League (SAL) - Greenville Drive Press Release
The Drive received timely hits by the offense and stellar pitching, something that had come together in quite some time. Josh Reddick got the game going in the top of the first with a solo homer off Hector Rondon, his 14th of the season.
For most of the game, that one run was all the Drive needed as Jimmy James (1-1) turned in his best performance of the year. The right-hander tossed six scoreless innings, scattering four hits and issuing two walks while fanning a season-high five Captains batters.
On more than one occasion the Captains had runners in scoring position with less than one out, but were unable to plate any runs. In the fourth, Lake County had runners on second and third, but James recorded a strikeout and a fly out to end the inning.
After being held scoreless for four innings, Jon Still provided some insurance runs with his team-leading 20th home run of the year. Captains reliever Mike Pontius induced leadoff batter Argenis Diaz into a groundout, but then the defense ran into problems. Both Reid Engel and Reddick, the next two batters, reached base by way of errors, setting of Still's bomb.
Greenville scored once more in the top of the eighth, solidifying the win as Diaz crossed home on Luis Valdez's bases loaded balk. Lake County ended the Drive's chances at a shutout in the second to last inning, scoring a single run off reliever Jorge Rodriguez. Adam Davis led off the inning with a double, advanced to third on Jason Denham's single, and scored on Matt McBride's sacrifice fly.
The Drive and Captains continue their four-game series bright and early Tuesday morning with first pitch set for 11:00 AM. Right-hander Daniel Bard will toe the rubber for Greenville as Lake County counters with southpaw Ryan Morris.
The Drive return home to West End Field on Wednesday, August 8th for their final eight-game home stand of the 2007 season. The August 8th game versus the Lakewood BlueClaws will kick-off the Drive's "Crazy 8" promotion as well. Tickets to all Drive home games can be purchased by visiting www.GreenvilleDrive.com, or by calling (864) 240-4500.
South Atlantic League Stories from July 30, 2007
- Intimidators and Shorebirds Rained Out, Doubleheader Tuesday - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Suns And Green Jackets Postponed - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Sink Captains, 5-1 - Greenville Drive
- Homers Power Asheville Past Lakewood - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Power Lose Early Lead - West Virginia Power
- Legends Split With Lakewood - Lexington Legends
- 'Birds, Intimidators Postponed, Double-Header Tomorrow - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Rain Postpones RiverDogs-Crawdads Series Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Gnats, Greensboro Postponed - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Jackets, Suns Game Postponed - Augusta GreenJackets
- Yankees Shuffle Nunezes - Charleston RiverDogs
- Hagerstown Suns To Celebrate Asterisk Night - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.