Newton Goes Deep Twice in Whitecaps WinJuly 29, 2007 - Midwest League (MWL) - West Michigan Whitecaps
Newton led off both the fourth and sixth innings with blasts to left field.
Duane Below pitched five innings and struck out eight en route to his first win in four starts. In two starts against the Kernels this season, Below struck out 22 batters in 11 innings pitched. The left hander fell one shy of a Whitecaps team record with 14 strikeouts against Cedar Rapids on May 11.
Brennan Boesch collected his Midwest League leading 71st RBI on a ground out in the first inning that drove in James Skelton.
Brandon Timm went 2-for-4 with a double for West Michigan.
Three relievers pitched scoreless innings for the Whitecaps: Phil Napolitan, Zach Piccola and Dan Fyvie. Brett Jensen allowed a home run to Tyler Johnson but retired the other three hitters that he faced in the bottom of the ninth.
Midwest League Stories from July 29, 2007
- Sensational Starner Leads Lugnuts to Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars Take Finale, Series - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Score Four Times in Tenth to Beat Dayton, Stay in First - Peoria Chiefs
- Newton Goes Deep Twice in Whitecaps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Wrap up Nine-Day Trip with Extra Inning Loss - Dayton Dragons
- Newest Snapper Heading For DL - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Enjoy Best July Ever in Attendance - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Fall in Finale - Beloit Snappers
- Loons Drown Rattlers, 8-5 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Swing Sweep Bees - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Lugnuts Hold Off Clinton, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Nickerson spins gem as Whitecaps blank Kernels, 5-0 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.