Destroyers Head Coach Doug Kay Signs Contract ExtensionMay 16, 2007 - Arena Football League (1987-2008) (AFL I) - Columbus Destroyers
"Coach Kay has done a tremendous job as our head coach over the last two seasons," Renacci said. "He has taken the reigns of this team and made it a playoff contender. We are confident that his leadership and tutelage of our players will continue to net very positive results on and off the field for the Columbus Destroyers organization."
Now in his second season with the Destroyers, Kay has accumulated a record of 14-12 with the club. Columbus is currently in second place in the Eastern Division with a record of 6-4. In 2006, the Destroyers posted an 8-8 mark and missed the playoffs by one game just one year removed from a 2-14 finish during the 2005 campaign.
Kay has over 40 years of football coaching experience, including 13 years in the AFL. His AFL teams have made the playoffs in 10 of 13 years. He has won ArenaBowl championships as a defensive coordinator with the Tampa Bay Storm (ArenaBowl VII - 1993) and Arizona Rattlers (ArenaBowl XI - 1997) and has also served as a head coach with the Charlotte Rage (1995) and Carolina Cobras (2000-01).
Kay's coaching career began in 1960 at his alma mater, Western Illinois University, where he was the quarterbacks and wide receivers coach. He has also been a member of coaching staffs at Indiana State University (1967-69), Olivet (Mich.) College (1970-75), San Jose State (1976), University of California-Los Angeles (1977-79) and the University of Hawaii (1980-83).
A native of Chicago, Ill., Kay served in the U.S. Army for two years from 1954 to 1956. He received a bachelor's degree in physical education in 1961 from Western Illinois, where he played both football and baseball. He and his wife, Dawn, reside in Tampa, Florida and have two children, Kimber and Bart.
WE BELIEVE that you can never get enough football. Single game tickets for the 2007 season are available starting at $12 by visiting www.ColumbusDestroyers.com. For information on season tickets call (877) COLS-AFL. Groups of 10 or more are eligible for group rates by calling (614) 246-HITS.
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from May 16, 2007
- Storm family suffers great personal loss - Tampa Bay Storm
- New York Dragons game notes - New York Dragons
- Battle for playoff positioning highlights week 12 - AFL I
- Columbus Destroyers game notes - Columbus Destroyers
- Georgia Force Receiver Chris Jackson Can Catch Elite Group Against Former Team On Saturday - AFL I
- Georgia Force Can Clinch Playoff Berth With Win - Georgia Force
- Rampage Sign QB Adrian McPherson, WR Cornelius Bonner - Grand Rapids Rampage
- Rush, Force Look To Clinch Playoff Berths In Week 12 - AFL I
- Destroyers Head Coach Doug Kay Signs Contract Extension - Columbus Destroyers
- San Jose SaberCats game notes - San Jose SaberCats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.