Crew Selects Three Players In 2006 MLS Supplemental DraftJanuary 26, 2006 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Columbus Crew SC
The Crew had three picks in the supplemental draft, the 3rd, 15th and 27th overall selections. Columbus traded its fourth round selection to the MetroStars during the 2005 season in exchange for goalkeeper Jonny Walker.
With its third overall pick The Crew selected Kentucky goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum. Columbus then selected Southern Methodist midfielder David Chun in the second round (15th overall) and UC Santa Barbara forward Ivan Becerra in the third round (27th overall).
ANDY GRUENEBAUM, Goalkeeper (Kentucky) - First Round, 3rd Overall
Gruenebaum was a three-time first-team All-MAC selection while posting a 0.91 goals-against average and 21 shutouts in 66 career games for Kentucky. He was also a first-team All-Great Lakes Region choice in 2005. His 0.69 goals against average in 2003 was tied for the second best in school history for a single season. The Overland Park, Kansas, native was the MVP of the USL PDL National Championship game in 2005 as a member of the Des Moines (Iowa) Menace.
DAVID CHUN, Midfielder (Southern Methodist) - Second Round, 15th Overall
Chun was a Conference-USA first-team selection in 2005 and a second-team All-Missouri Valley Conference choice in 2004. He finished his career with seven goals and three assists in 87 career games for SMU. Chun was a member of the U.S. U-17 National Team that competed in the World Championships in Trinidad & Tobago in 2001. He has also seen time with the U.S. U-20s and was a member of the U.S. Soccer residency program in Bradenton, Fla.
IVAN BECERRA, Forward (UC Santa Barbara) - Third Round, 27th Overall
Becerra was a first-team All-Big West Conference selection in 2005 after leading the Gauchos with 12 goals and two assists, including six game-winning goals. He tallied three assists as a junior while playing behind an All-American forward. One of his three assists came in the National Championship game vs. Indiana in 2004. Becerra spent two years in junior college at Mission College (Calif.) where he tallied 34 goals and 19 assists in two seasons and earned All-American laurels. He was born in San Luis Potose, Mexico, becoming the first Mexican-born player drafted by The Crew. His full name is Jorge Ivan Becerra.
Position: Goalkeeper College: Kentucky
Date of Birth: 12-30-82 (23) in Kansas City, MO Hometown: Overland Park, KS
Height: 6-1 Weight: 200
Position: Midfielder College: Southern Methodist
Date of Birth: 3-30-84 (21) in Phoenix, AZ Hometown: Irvine, CA
Height: 5-8 Weight: 146
Position: Forward College: UC Santa Barbara
Date of Birth: 5-22-84 (21) in San Luis Potose, Mexico Hometown: Los Angeles, CA
Height: 6-2 Weight: 190
Major League Soccer Stories from January 26, 2006
- Chivas USA selects three in 2006 MLS Supplemental Draft - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Crew Selects Fahlgren Mortine As Public Relations Agency Of Record - Columbus Crew SC
- Wizards Add Five Players in Supplemental Draft - Sporting Kansas City
- Crew Selects Three Players In 2006 MLS Supplemental Draft - Columbus Crew SC
- MetroStars Tab Four in MLS Supplemental Draft - New York Red Bulls
- 2006 MLS Supplemental Draft Results - MLS
- FC Dallas Makes Five Selections in 2006 MLS Supplemental Draft - FC Dallas
- Rapids Acquire Four Players In 2006 MLS Supplemental Draft - Colorado Rapids
- Revolution selects four players in MLS Supplemental Draft - New England Revolution
- Galaxy Select Three Players With Southland Ties in MLS Supplemental Draft - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA names Zak Abdel as goalkeeper coach - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- D.C. United selects two in 2006 MLS Supplemental Draft - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake selects Jeff Rowland with No. 2 overall pick in Supplemental Draft - Real Salt Lake
- D.C. United set to kick off preseason training - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.