Sevilla Powers Bees Past WhitecapsJune 27, 2004 - Midwest League (MWL) Burlington Bees
Bees' starter Greg Atencio (5-7) picked up his third win in four starts, allowing just one run on five hits in 6.1 innings while striking out five. The Whitecaps only run came in the top of the second inning. With one out, Atencio hit Nate Doyle with a pitch. Doyle stole second and scored on a two-out double by Eric Rodland. Brad Stiles took over for Atencio after a one-out single by Rodland in the top of the seventh. Alex Trezza lined out to shortstop on Stiles' second pitch and Rodland was double off at first to end the inning.
The Whitecaps threatened to tie the game in the top of the ninth. Luis Sabino led off with a double to left-center, the only hit allowed by Stiles in the game. Kelly Hunt moved him to third with a long flyout to center and the Whitecaps had the tying run just 90 feet away. Stiles bore down and struck out Doyle and Garth McKinney to strand Sabino at third and end the ballgame.
Sevilla's homer was one of six hits in the game for the Bees and it extended his hitting streak to a new season-high six games.
The Bees continue this homestand with the first of four against the Beloit Snappers tomorrow night at 7:00 at Community Field. LH John Gragg (2-6, 3.84) will start for the Bees against RH Simon Beresford (1-1, 5.02) for the Snappers. Tomorrow is a Miller Lite Dollar Monday at "The Hive." General admission tickets, hot dogs, pizza, popcorn, Pepsi products, and drafts of Miller Lite and Coors Light are just $1 during the game. The gates open at 6:00 and the game will be broadcast live on KBUR AM 1490 and KBKB AM 1360 with the pre-game show starting at 6:40.
Midwest League Stories from June 27, 2004
- Snappers downed by Cougars - Beloit Snappers
- Drought over, skid not; Quad Cities continues its assault on Kernels, 8-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars beat Beloit 12 - 8 - Kane County Cougars
- Sevilla Powers Bees Past Whitecaps - Burlington Bees
- Unlucky numbers in loss for Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Yankees lose final game, series to Wizards - Southwest Michigan Devil Rays
- No Honey for 'Caps in Bees Nest - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Full Day of Home Runs, but Dragons fall short 6-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Harben dominates as Swing top Kernels, 6-0 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Roster Sees Second Half Changes - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers Shut Out by Kane County - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.