Wingnuts Fall to Gary in Exhibition Slugfest
WICHITA, Kans. - Despite putting up nine runs and fifteen hits, the Wichita Wingnuts dropped their Saturday exhibition to the Gary SouthShore RailCats 15-9 at Maize High School.
The RailCats got on the board in the top of the first with a solo home run from Randy Santiesteban. Gary added four runs in both the fourth and fifth innings, using six singles and capitalizing on three walks.
The Wingnuts answered back with matching four-run innings in both the fourth and fifth innings. Jared Reaves sparked the offense with a solo homer in the fourth. John Nester added to rally with a two-run double.
In the fifth, the Wingnuts brought home a run on a Logan Watkins RBI triple. One batter later, Tony Thomas belted a two-run homer to pull Wichita within one run.
Gary and Wichita traded single runs in the sixth before Gary opened up the lead in the final third of the game. The RailCats struck for four unearned runs in the top of the eighth.
Mark Haynes threw a scoreless ninth for the Wingnuts, becoming the only one of nine pitchers in the game to not allow a run.
Wichita will conclude the exhibition schedule on Tuesday and Wednesday at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium. Both games begin 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 12, 2018
- Saltdogs Finish Home Exhibitions with 3-1 Win over X's - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Dominate in Exhibition Opener 12-1 over South Metro All-Stars - St. Paul Saints
- Wingnuts Fall to Gary in Exhibition Slugfest - Wichita Wingnuts
- Goldeyes Top RedHawks in Spring Action - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Add Two Position Players - Cleburne Railroaders
- Righty from Down Under Joins T-Bones - Kansas City T-Bones