Windsor Express Collect First Franchise Win over the Halifax Rainmen
(Halifax, NS) A Victor Morris three pointer with 34 seconds left iced it for the Windsor Express, as they collected their first win in franchise history,knocking off the Halifax Rainmen 111-105.
Windsor's offence was clicking from the first quarter, hitting 5 of 9 three pointers in the opening frame. Throughout the half, Halifax tried to match the hot outside shooting of the Express by pounding the ball inside, outscoring the opposition 38-20 in the paint, but continued to trail. The first half was highlighted by Halifax big man Paul Nelson throwing down a vicious dunk, which even brought upon a few cheers from the Windsor fans. Windsor took a 58-54 lead into the dressing room.
Like the previous two quarters Halifax came out sluggish, giving up an 8-3 Windsor run in the opening minutes. Windsor extended the lead to
nine as they began to match Halifax's physicality in the post. Midway through the third with the help of guard Eddie Smith, who scored 15 of his game high 27 points in the quarter, the Rainmen took their first and only lead in the game. The lead would be brief however as Windsor took a one point lead going into the fourth.
The Rainmen couldn't get much going offensively in the fourth, shooting a dismal 33% from the field in the second half. Going down the stretch, Windsor went 10 of 10 from the line, not allowing Halifax a chance to recover from its poor second half shooting. Windsor's balanced offensive attack saw four players hit double digit scoring. Mike Helms had a team high 25 points, Anthony Johnson with 20 and Raymond Kraemer finished with 17. Halifax also had four players hit double digits. Guard Eddie Smith lead the attack with 27 points, followed by Brandon Robinson's 22 and Darren Duncan who had 17points to go along with a game leading 8 assists.
The Rainmen's regular season home opener takes place on Saturday, November 10 th at 7:00 p.m. when they face the Saint John Millrats.
Tickets for the November 10th home opener are available at any Ticket Atlantic location or by calling 444-RAIN.
• Discuss this story on the National Basketball League of Canada message board...
National Basketball League of Canada Stories from November 2, 2012
- Windsor Express Collect First Franchise Win over the Halifax Rainmen - Halifax Rainmen
- Mill Rats Drop Opener on Road - Saint John Riptide
- Spalding Signs Exclusive Sponsorship with National Basketball League of Canada - NBL Canada
Other Recent Halifax Rainmen Stories
- Players, Fans and Supporters Cheated out of Championship
- Rainmen Owner to Offer Comment and Clarification
- Tonight's Championship Game Canceled
- Rainmen Viewing Party for the Championship Game at Bubba Ray's Sports Bar
- Halifax Drops Game Six After Stunning Second Half Collapse