Wichita Skid Reaches Nine in Cleburne
CLEBURNE, Texas - The Wichita Wingnuts fell behind early and missed out on a few key opportunities late as they dropped their ninth straight Thursday night, falling 4-2 to the Cleburne Railroaders at The Depot at Cleburne Station.
Cleburne (28-37) jumped on Ryan Kussmaul (5-4) quickly in the bottom of the first, starting their night with three straight singles, the last of which made it 1-0. After a hit batter loaded the bases, Geraldo Valentin hit into a double play, which allowed a second run to score.
The score stayed the same until the fifth, when Wichita (38-25) opened the inning with three consecutive singles from Martin Medina, Zac Fisher, and Brennen Salgado, with Salgado's knock plating Medina to cut the deficit to one. The Wingnuts had a chance to add more, but Dylan Mouzakes (4-5) induced a double play to keep the damage to one run.
The fifth inning tally was the only one the Wingnuts could muster against Mouzakes, as the righty worked around a pair of base runners in the sixth, his final inning of work, to keep the one-run lead in tact.
The Railroaders then added two more in the home half of the sixth, as Pichi Balet tucked a two-run single down the third base line to stretch the lead to three.
Four straight singles led to another run for Wichita in the eighth, as Medina drove in TJ Mittelstaedt, but the Wingnuts left the bases loaded.
In the ninth, Richard Prigatano worked a one-out walk, but was left stranded, as Winston Abreu locked down the Railroaders victory with his league-leading 14th save.
The Wingnuts and Railroaders continue their four-game set Friday night at The Depot at Cleburne Station. Wichita will send righty Eddie Medina (6-3, 2.98) to the mound, while Cleburne will counter with fellow right-hander Patrick Mincey (6-5, 2.87). First pitch is set for 7:06 p.m., and the game will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and www.americanassociationbaseball.tv.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 30, 2017
- Cooper, Wingnuts Blank Railroaders for Split - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Win 3rd Straight, Take Series - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Use Four-Run Eighth Inning to Come Back for Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saltdogs Fall in Back and Forth Affair in Sioux Falls - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Three Home Runs Not Enough in Loss to Explorers - St. Paul Saints
- Wichita Skid Reaches Nine in Cleburne - Wichita Wingnuts
- Gary Shutouts Salina, to Complete - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Gary Shutouts Salina, 2-0, to Complete - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saltdogs Bring Back Former MLB Pitcher Shairon Martis, Re-Sign - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.