Wichita Rallies Late, Falters in Extras
WICHITA, Kans. (July 12, 2017) - Two runs in the top of the 12th inning propelled the Gary SouthShore RailCats to a 6-4 extra inning victory over the Wichita Wingnuts on Wednesday night at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
After Martin Medina tied the game at 4-4 with a two-out single in the bottom of the eighth, both offenses went quiet for the next several frames. In the 12th, Gary (29-23) got an infield single and then a Chase Harris RBI triple to break the deadlock, before Reggie Wilson added an insurance run with an RBI single off Wingnuts reliever James Campbell (1-1).
For the second consecutive evening, Wichita (35-16) fell into an early hole, as Gary put up two runs apiece in the first and third frames against Wingnuts starter Jordan Cooper. But Wichita began chipping away in the sixth, as TJ Mittelstaedt lofted a high fly ball that got lost in the lights for a run-scoring triple.
Leo Vargas got the Wingnuts a little closer in the seventh, cranking a two-run homer to left that brought Wichita to within 4-3. Medina completed the comeback the following frame, but the offense mustered just one hit over the final four frames. Gary reliever Jorge De Leon (5-1) picked up the victory with 3.1 scoreless innings of relief, and Jamal Wilson notched his first career save with a zero in the bottom of the 12th.
The Wichita bullpen was strong in relief of Cooper to help keep the Wingnuts within striking distance. Ryan Kussmaul led the charge for the relief corps, allowing just one hit and striking out seven in four scoreless innings.
The Wingnuts and RailCats continue their series on Wednesday, with first pitch set for 7:05. Wichita has not announced a starter, while Gary will toss RHP Braulio Torres-Perez (5-2, 4.72). All the action will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM, and at americanassociationbaseball.tv.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 14, 2017
- Henry's Homer Pushes Canaries to Series Sweep in St. Paul - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Gordon Gets Complete Game Win in Rout of Stockade - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Swept in Four Game Series at Home by Canaries for First Time in Franchise History But Fall - St. Paul Saints
- Brown Stellar as Wingnuts Salvage Finale - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Blanked by RedHawks - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wichita Rallies Late, Falters in Extras - Wichita Wingnuts
- Long Balls Carry Saltdogs to Win in Rain-Shortened Game - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.