Whale Re-Sign Defenseman Jared Nightingale
HARTFORD, May 24, 2011: Connecticut Whale general manager Jim Schoenfeld announced today that the team has exercised its 2011-12 option on the AHL contract of defenseman Jared Nightingale.
Nightingale, a 6-3, 205-pound veteran of five pro seasons, played 71 games in a Whale uniform this past season, scoring two goals and tying his AHL career high with six assists, for eight points, and registering 204 penalty minutes. That PIM total led all Whale defensemen and ranked third overall on the team. Nightingale was scoreless in six playoff contests.
In addition to his on-ice contributions, Nightingale was one of the Whale's true team leaders, voted by his teammates the winner of the Whale's Bob Girouard Character Award and chosen by the Whale staff as the recipient of the Mary Lynn Gorman Community Service Award, and as the Whale's IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year for community service.
A 28-year-old native of Jackson, Michigan, Nightingale has played 173 games with the Whale/Hartford Wolf Pack over parts of four seasons, and has totaled seven goals and seventeen assists for 24 points, along with 485 penalty minutes. He has also seen AHL action with the Springfield Falcons, Iowa Stars and Chicago Wolves, and his career AHL totals show 197 games-played, 10 goals and 18 assists for 28 points, and 509 PIM.
Prior to turning pro with Springfield late in the 2005-06 season, Nightingale was a four-year regular at Michigan State University.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 24, 2011
- DiSalvatore's Late Goal Lifts Aeros to Calder Cup Finals - Houston Aeros
- Houston Aeros Win American Hockey League's Western Conference Championship - AHL
- B-Sens to Face the Houston Aeros in the Calder Cup Finals - Binghamton Senators
- Bulldogs Game 7 Watch Party at Faloney's of Ancaster Tonight - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Predators Ink Defenseman Victor Bartley - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Foundation Helps Raise Over $73,000 for Central New York Non-Profits and Youth Organizations - Syracuse Crunch
- Sharks, City of Worcester, Combine Efforts with Red Cross to Help Tornado Victims - Worcester Sharks
- Whale Re-Sign Defenseman Jared Nightingale - Connecticut Whale
- Updated Preview: Aeros-Bulldogs, Game 7 - Houston Aeros
- AHL Morning Skate - AHL
- Spot Screech Promotion Continues - Springfield Falcons
- Charron's Legacy Continues to be Inspiration of Strength and Courage - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.