Warriors Acquire Elliot Williams and Daniel Orton; Finalize Opening
SANTA CRUZ, CA - The Santa Cruz Warriors have acquired guard Elliot Williams and center Daniel Orton the team announced today. With these acquisitions, the opening night roster for the 2015-16 season is complete. The roster consists of five returning players, three affiliate players, three 2015 NBA D-League draft picks, and one trade acquisition.
The 2015 NBA D-League Finals MVP Elliot Williams returns to Santa Cruz after attending training camp with the Charlotte Hornets. The No. 2 overall pick of the 2014 NBA D-League Draft and former 2010 first-round NBA draft pick averaged 21.3 points, 7.4 assists, and 4.8 rebounds last season in Santa Cruz. During the 2014-15 season, he earned GATORADE call-ups with the Utah Jazz, the Charlotte Hornets, and the New Orleans Pelicans.
Daniel Orton, a 6'10" 265-lb center from the University of Kentucky was drafted by the Orlando Magic with the 29th overall pick in the 2010 NBA Draft. After two seasons with the Magic, Orton went on to play for both Philadelphia 76ers and the Oklahoma City Thunder during the 2013-14 season. After a brief international stint in China and the Philippines respectively, he returned to the United States where he joined the D-League's Grand Rapids Drive. He appeared in six games for the Drive, averaging 6.7 points and 5.8 rebounds in 18.3 minutes per game. Santa Cruz acquired Orton's returning player rights from the Idaho Stampede in exchange for the rights of center Justin Manns, the Warriors' 37th overall pick in the 2015 NBA D-League Draft.
Below is the Warriors' complete roster for the upcoming season:
Number Name Position Height Weight School
3 Juwan Staten G 5'11" 186 West Virginia University
7 Elliot Williams G 6'5" 190 Memphis
8 Xavier Henry G 6'6" 220 Kansas
13 Darington Hobson G 6'7" 207 University of New Mexico
15 Jarred Shaw F/C 6'10" 235 Utah State
17 Verdell Jones III G 6'5" 195 Indiana University
18 Ronnie Brewer F 6'7" 235 Arkansas
19 Daniel Orton C 6'10" 265 University of Kentucky
21 Daniel Nwaelele G 6'5" 205 Air Force
23 Maurice Baker G 6'1" 195 Oklahoma State
24 Chris Udofia F 6'6" 200 University of Denver
34 Anthony Vereen F 6'6" 245 Texas-Arlington
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 12, 2015
- Westchester Knicks Pinch Red Claws in Opening Night Thriller - Westchester Knicks
- Red Claws Season Opening Comeback Falls Just Short - Maine Red Claws
- Stampede Finalize Opening Night Roster - Idaho Stampede
- Drive Acquire Henry Sims and Lorenzo Brown - Grand Rapids Drive
- Mad Ants Open Season Saturday, November 14th - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Celtics Assign Mickey and Young to Maine Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Warriors Acquire Elliot Williams and Daniel Orton; Finalize Opening - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Bighorns Announce Opening Night Roster - Reno Bighorns
- Legends Announce Opening Night Roster - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Warriors Beat Agua Caliente Clippers 113-109, Match Best Record in NBA G League
- Golden State Warriors Recall Guard Jacob Evans III
- Santa Cruz Warriors Take Down Agua Caliente Clippers, 113-109
- Golden State Warriors Assign Guard Jacob Evans III to Santa Cruz
- Santa Cruz Warriors Playoff Tickets Available Today