Wambach named WPS Player of the Week
BOYDS, Md. (April 28) - Just two days after scoring her first goals of the 2009 season, Washington Freedom forward Abby Wambach was selected as the WPS Player of the Week for the week ending April 26.
Wambach had two goals and an assist in Washington's 4-3 win over FC Gold Pride on Sunday, which was also the Freedom's first win of the season.
Wambach entered Sunday's game having taken the most shots of any player in WPS with 16, but had been unable to find the back of the net. But after making a phone call to former U.S. Women's National Team and WUSA Washington Freedom teammate Mia Hamm earlier in the week, Wambach scored twice, including the game-winner in the final seconds.
"[Hamm] told me a lot of things in terms of not putting too much pressure on myself and not to feel that I have to win games by myself because this is a team sport," Wambach said of the advice she received. "To have her confidence in me was important and at the end of the day it's about scoring goals and keeping goals out of your own net."
Wambach and the Freedom will look to add to Sunday's breakthrough performance when they host Saint Louis Athletica Sunday at the Maryland SoccerPlex at 6 p.m. The game will be televised on FSC and will feature the Hall of Freedom induction ceremony for WUSA Freedom alumnae Hamm and Siri Mullinix.
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from April 28, 2009
- Wambach named WPS Player of the Week - magicJack
- WPS Weekly - WPS
- Chicago Red Stars to Face FC Indiana Saturday - Chicago Red Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent magicJack Stories
- Washington Freedom Announces Sonia Bompastor's Mutual Contract Termination
- Jim Gabarra Resigns as Head Coach of Washington Freedom
- Washington Freedom's 2010 WPS Playoff Run Ends with Overtime Goal
- Washington Freedom Travel to Face Philadelphia Independence in First Round of Playoffs
- Washington Freedom Defeat Atlanta Beat 1-0 To Advance To WPS Playoffs