Vics Host Portland Saturday
SAN FRANCISCO (July 6, 2007) -- The California Victory hosts West Coast rivals Portland Timbers Saturday night in the third of five regular season meetings between the two clubs. Kickoff is at 7 p.m. at Kezar Stadium, San Francisco.
Fans are reminded that ticket stubs retained from Wednesday's July 4 fixture are good for FREE ENTRY to this game.
ALSO: Don't forget the Victory will be giving away a pair of MLS All-Star tickets at halftime -- you can't win them unless you're at the game!
Portland leads the head-to-head series 2-0-0, having beaten the Vics 2-0 in Oregon early in the season, and then again 1-0 at Kezar Stadium.
The last meeting looked headed for a scoreless tie, with the Victory having out-shot Portland 14-4. But the Timbers took advantage of a wicked bounce and a defensive slip to knock in a last-minute, and perhaps undeserved, goal.
The clubs play each other twice more next weekend in Portland -- on Friday, July 13 and again on Sunday. Friday's game will be televised LIVE on Fox Soccer Channel at 8 p.m. PST.
The Vics hope to bounce back from their 3-1 home loss to Miami Wednesday and get their season rolling again. A playoff spot is still in reach -- the top eight teams out of 12 qualify for post-season competition.
And the San Francisco-based club still has the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup to contend for, with a third-round match-up against MLSers Colorado Rapids Tuesday.
Portland was dumped from the tournament by fellow USL side Seattle in the second round.
Saturday's game is the last chance to hand in your filled-out raffle ticket to win a pair of tickets to the MLB All-Star Game in San Francisco next week. Don't forget to snag your FREE raffle ticket from the gameday roster sheet, handed out at the ticket booth. The draw will be held at halftime.
The Victory also welcomes San Bruno's AYSO to this weekend's game. The AYSO has been busy selling Victory tickets and fireworks all week. Thanks San Bruno -- we hope you enjoy the game!
WHAT: USL First Division Professional Soccer
WHO: California Victory v Portland Timbers
WHEN: Saturday, June 7, 7 p.m.
WHERE: Kezar Stadium, San Francisco
Tickets are available at the gate prior to kickoff, or by visiting www.californiavictorysoccer.com.
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from July 6, 2007
- RailHawks Fall in Rochester - North Carolina FC
- Victory Wins 'Goal Of The Week' For Second Week In A Row - California Victory
- Vics Host Portland Saturday - California Victory
- Caps Insider - Vancouver Whitecaps
- Sounders vs Tacoma Tide Tomorrow Night - Seattle Sounders
- USL Broadcast Update - USL-1
- Battery plays Islanders Saturday at Blackbaud - Charleston Battery
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent California Victory Stories
- Van Straatum: "We battle until the end"
- Late PK puts Seattle on top; Sounders beat Vics 1-0 in San Francisco
- Victory out of playoff contention following loss to Montreal
- Victory beats Minnesota with Morales brace
- Victory face Thunder, Islanders in hunt for playoffs