Veteran Irish Defender Diane Caldwell Signs Contract with North Carolina Courage
Cary, NC (January 19, 2020)- Irish international Diane Caldwell has signed a one-year contract with a one-year option with the North Carolina Courage, the club announced today. Caldwell brings 10 years of professional soccer experience to an already accomplished NC Courage defense. The contract is Caldwell's first with a team in the NWSL.
"Diane has the experience, intelligence, and positional ability to be a great professional in the NWSL," said NC Courage head coach Paul Riley. "She is a no-nonsense defender with excellent passing range and is a major threat on set pieces. She has the character and determination to be an immediate leader on our team. She is a super passionate professional who will embrace the Courage culture wholeheartedly."
The Balbriggan, Ireland native has made 79 appearances with the Republic of Ireland since 2006. She has represented her country in Women's World Cup qualifying and UEFA Women's Euro qualifying, scoring a total of three international goals. Most recently, Caldwell played eight games for 706 minutes in the EURO 2022 qualifiers. As a member of the Courage, she will play alongside PFA International Ireland International Player of the Year ad NC Courage midfielder Denise O'Sullivan.
Caldwell will join the Courage from SC Sand in Germany where she played at the club level since 2016. The defender captained the team that plays in the Bundesliga. She appeared in 107 games with SC Sand in five seasons for a total of 7,979 minutes.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from January 19, 2021
- International Women's Cup drawing global powers to Louisville - Racing Louisville FC
- Thorns FC Goalkeeper Britt Eckerstrom Announces Retirement - Portland Thorns FC
- Chicago Red Stars to Participate in Inaugural International Women's Cup - Chicago Red Stars
- Veteran Irish Defender Diane Caldwell Signs Contract with North Carolina Courage - North Carolina Courage
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina Courage Stories
- Courage Defeat Wake Forest University 6-0 in First Preseason Game of 2021
- NC Courage Announce Closed-Door Preseason Matches
- Lynn Williams Named An Allocated Player for the US Women's National Team in 2021
- Wales International Angharad James Signs Contract with NC Courage
- Goalkeeper Casey Murphy Signs Two-Year Contract with NC Courage