Tornadoes Win Overtime Thriller
SOUTHAVEN, MS---After trialing for most of the game, the North Mississippi Tornadoes made the last minute of Friday night's game against Western conference foe the Arkansas ArchAngels one to remember.
With the game tied and 50.3 seconds left in regulation a pair of Quilninious Randall (Northeastern University) free throws, followed by a pair of Kevin Murphy (University of West Alabama) free throws gave the Tornadoes a four point lead with 18.1 seconds to play. However, the ArchAngels were not done; Tyrone Sally (University of West Virginia) made a thunderous dunk with 12.1 seconds left, cutting the lead to two. After Anthony Rice (University of Memphis) made one of his two free throws with 10.9 seconds to play, Tyrone Sally hit a three pointer with no time to spare to send the game into overtime at ninety-three all.
But once in over time the Tornadoes took over and outscored the ArchAngels for a 106-101 win, taking them to an 8-9 overall record. In a game that saw twenty-three out of twenty-four players score, Josh Richmond (Arkansas Baptist) led all scorers with 19 points, including seven in overtime. Seven tornadoes scored in double digits including Anthony Davis (Austin Peay State University) who had 14. Taron Downey (Wake Forest University) led the ArchAngels with 17.
The Tornadoes return to action at Olive Branch High School against the ArchAngels on June 22, tip-off is set for 7 PM.
• Discuss this story on the World Basketball Association message board...
World Basketball Association Stories from June 10, 2006
- Warriors streak past Heat, 154-112 - Cartersville Warriors
- Warriors hold off Storm, win 117-108 - Cartersville Warriors
- Tornadoes Win Overtime Thriller - Memphis Tornadoes
- Trowell's last-second three lifts Musicians - Murfreesboro Musicians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Tornadoes Stories
- Inclement weather postpones Memphis game on Saturday night
- Memphis tops Decatur
- Tornadoes Win Overtime Thriller
- Tornadoes Start Final Weekend With Win
- Tornadoes win again