Toledo's Larish & Charlotte's Zaleski Claim IL Player Of The Week Honors
June 21, 2010 - International League (IL) News Release
The International League announced today that Toledo third baseman Jeff Larish and Charlotte pitcher Matt Zaleski have been named the League's Batter and Pitcher of the Week for the period from June 14-20. Zaleski is the second member of the Knights to win an IL weekly award in 2010 (joining two-time Pitcher of the Week Carlos Torres), while Larish becomes the first Mud Hen to be so honored this season.
During the past week Toledo's Jeff Larish hit .421 and led the International League with three home runs, 10 RBI, and a 1.489 OPS (on-base plus slugging). His long balls came in three consecutive games starting Tuesday, including back-to-back nights with a three-run homer on Thursday and Friday. Friday's blast came in the 1st inning and gave the Mud Hens a lead they wouldn't relinquish in a 6-4 win. Though he didn't homer Saturday, he did go 3-3 and collected two more RBI to secure his status as the IL Batter of the Week. Since he returned from the Disabled List on June 3, Larish is hitting .340 with six homers and 20 RBI.
27-year-old Jeff Larish is in his sixth season of professional baseball. He was seen time in the Major Leagues with Detroit during each of the past two seasons, owning a career average of .242 with six home runs and 23 RBI in 74 games. Larish is a native of Iowa City, Iowa.
Matt Zaleski hadn't won in his last eight starts entering the week, despite having given up just one earned run or fewer in five of those outings. The hard-luck right-hander had things going right again on Friday night when the Knights played the second of a four-game set in Rochester, and this time his teammates provided plenty of support. Zaleski allowed a leadoff single to Jason Repko in the 1st, and it was the only hit he would give up in 7.0 innings of work. He walked one and struck out a season-high eight batters in the brilliant performance, finally earning his elusive fifth win of the year by a 6-1 score. He lowered his ERA to 3.21 (11th in the IL) and his WHIP to 1.07 (5th in the IL).
28-year-old Matt Zaleski was selected by the White Sox in the 30th round of the 2004 draft. Last season he was an All-Star in the Double-A Southern League and combined to go 7-4 with a 2.28 ERA across three levels of the Chicago farm system. Zaleski is a native of Arlington Heights, Illinois.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 21, 2010
- Yankees Edge Red Sox, 4-3 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Wild Finish in Scranton Wilkes-Barre - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Tides Fall to IronPigs, 6-4 - Norfolk Tides
- Bulls Blank Indians, 2-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- G-Braves Stay Hot at the Plate, Beat Buffalo 7-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Baker, Bulls One-Hit Indianapolis, 2-0 - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo Bisons
- Louisville Bats Homestand Highlights - Louisville Bats
- Toledo's Larish & Charlotte's Zaleski Claim IL Player Of The Week Honors - IL
- IronPigs Start Eight Game Road Trip - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Yankees Fell To Lehigh Valley IronPigs 4-1 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.