Thunderbirds Announce 2021-22 Regular Season Schedule
HALIFAX, Nova Scotia - The Halifax Thunderbirds today revealed their regular season schedule for the 2021-22 NLL season. The Thunderbirds Home Opener at Scotiabank Centre takes place on Saturday, Dec. 4 at 6:00 p.m. ADT, with the Thunderbirds facing the Saskatchewan Rush.
Fans can secure season tickets to watch the return of championship-caliber professional lacrosse in Halifax by visiting HalifaxThunderbirds.com or by calling or texting 902-334-2333.
"I am beyond excited to finally be making our way back to our Thunderbirds family in Halifax!" Team Owner and General Manager Curt Styres said. "The support and kindness we received in our opening season was overwhelming, and we quickly realized we had found a perfect home for the Thunderbirds, surrounded by great people and an electric atmosphere - the amazing food is an added bonus. We look forward to bringing the best lacrosse players inthe world back to the best fans in the NLL!"
In their inaugural season, the Thunderbirds finished the truncated season with a 7-4 record, tied for first in the North Division. Their last game of the season was an 11-9 win against the Buffalo Bandits at Scotiabank Centre on Sunday, March 8, 2020.
With #UnfinishedBusiness ahead of them, the Thunderbirds returned their veteran core and shored up both sides of the floor in the offseason. Most notably, they extended defenceman Jake Withers and reigning NLL Defensive Player of the Year Graeme Hossack on five-year contracts.
With Panther City Lacrosse Club joining the NLL this season, the league realigned the divisions accordingly, and the Thunderbirds now play in the eight-team East Division. The playoff format was also revised, with the top four teams in the East and three teams in the West advancing to the postseason. The eighth and final playoff spot will be awarded to the team with the next best record, irrespective of division.
The 2021-22 Thunderbirds season consists of 18 games, nine at home and nine on the road. The Thunderbirds open up their 2021-22 campaign with back-to-back games at home before alternating home and road games through January. Their last regular season home game will be on Friday, April 1, 2022 against the Rochester Knighthawks, as the Thunderbirds wrap up the season with a three-game road trip.
With the new division alignment, the Thunderbirds will only play three West Division teams during the regular season: the Rush, Calgary Roughnecks, and Vancouver Warriors. Six of the East Division rivals will face the Thunderbirds twice in the regular season, with the Toronto Rock being the only team to play the Thunderbirds three times in 2021-22.
The 2021-22 Thunderbirds season features one Thursday game at the end of 2021, a road game against the Roughnecks. The Thunderbirds will have three Friday games, and the remaining 14 games all fall on Saturday. The Thunderbirds also have four bye weeks and one doubleheader weekend - March 11 against the FireWolves and March 12 at the Swarm.
"I can't wait to get back on the floor with this team," Hossack said. "I am expecting this to be one of the most competitive training camps I have ever been a part of. The team that we have put together is going to be hungry and exciting to watch. Our defence is big and fast, and I know the offence will fill the back of the net."
WEEK DATE DAY AWAY HOME LOCAL ET
1 Dec 4, 2021 Saturday SSK HFX 7:00PM 6:00PM
2 Dec 10, 2021 Friday TOR HFX 7:00PM 6:00PM
5 Dec 30, 2021 Thursday HFX CGY 7:00PM 9:00PM
6 Jan 8, 2022 Saturday NY HFX 7:00PM 6:00PM
7 Jan 15, 2022 Saturday HFX TOR 7:00PM 7:00PM
8 Jan 22, 2022 Saturday BUF HFX 7:00PM 6:00PM
9 Jan 29, 2022 Saturday HFX ALB 7:00PM 7:00PM
11 Feb 12, 2022 Saturday PHL HFX 7:00PM 6:00PM
12 Feb 19, 2022 Saturday GRG HFX 7:00PM 6:00PM
13 Feb 26, 2022 Saturday HFX PHL 7:00PM 7:00PM
14 Mar 5, 2022 Saturday VAN HFX 7:00PM 6:00PM
15 Mar 11, 2022 Friday ALB HFX 7:00PM 6:00PM
15 Mar 12, 2022 Saturday HFX GRG 7:00PM 7:00PM
17 Mar 26, 2022 Saturday HFX BUF 7:30PM 7:30PM
18 Apr 1, 2022 Friday RCH HFX 7:00PM 6:00PM
20 Apr 16, 2022 Saturday HFX TOR 7:00PM 7:00PM
21 Apr 23, 2022 Saturday HFX NY 7:30PM 7:30PM
22 Apr 30, 2022 Saturday HFX RCH 7:00PM 7:00PM
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from September 29, 2021
- Thunderbirds Announce 2021-22 Regular Season Schedule - Halifax Thunderbirds
- Roughnecks Announce 2021-22 Season Schedule - Calgary Roughnecks
- Georgia Swarm Unveils Full 2021-22 Regular Season Schedule - Georgia Swarm
- Bandits Announce 2021-22 Regular Season Schedule - Buffalo Bandits
- Knighthawks Announce 2021-22 Schedule - Rochester Knighthawks
- Seals 2021-22 Regular Season Schedule Announced - San Diego Seals
- Colorado Mammoth, National Lacrosse League Release 2021-22 Schedule - Colorado Mammoth
- 2021-2022 NLL Schedule Announced - Philadelphia Wings
- New York Riptide Unveil 2021-22 Season Schedule - New York Riptide
- Panther City Lacrosse Club Announces Inaugural Schedule - Panther City Lacrosse Club
- National Lacrosse League Announces Full 2021-22 Schedule - Albany FireWolves
- Warriors Announce 2021-22 Regular Season Schedule - Vancouver Warriors
- National Lacrosse League Announces Full 2021-22 Schedule - NLL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Halifax Thunderbirds Stories
- Thunderbirds Offence Stew: Monture and the Thunderbirds Offensive Outlook for the 2021-22 NLL Season
- Thunderbirds to Wear 'Every Child Matters' Jerseys for Saturday's Home Opener
- Six Thunderbirds Games to be Featured on TSN's NLL Game of the Week
- Thunderbirds Reveal Theme Nights for 2021-22 Home Games
- 12 Released