Swarm defeat Mammoth 11-10 in overtime
SAINT PAUL, Minn. - The National Lacrosse League's (NLL) Minnesota Swarm (5-4) defeated the Colorado Mammoth (1-8) 11-10 in overtime at the Pepsi Center.
Forward Ryan Benesch (2g, 1a) notched his second game-winning goal of the season 33 seconds into overtime after the Swarm won the opening face-off. With 1 minute and 30 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter, T Andrew Watt (3g) recorded a hat trick on a penalty shot, tying his career-high record for goals and giving the Swarm a 10-9 lead. G Nick Patterson made 37 saves on 47 shots in the win.
In the third quarter, T Tyler Hass (1g) collected his third goal of the season on an open Colorado net. F Callum Crawford (1g, 3a) scored a diving goal for Minnesota and F Mat Giles (1g, 2a) recorded his eighth goal of the season, bringing the Swarm lead to 9-7. At the end of the third quarter, Minnesota led 9-8.
Forward Jamie Shewchuk (2g), who was acquired last month from the Colorado Mammoth, registered two goals for Minnesota during the second quarter. Benesch recorded his first goal of the game at the 8:56 mark. Minnesota held a 6-3 lead at halftime.
During the first quarter, F Aaron Wilson (1g, 3a) tallied his eighth goal of the season. Watt posted two breakaway goals during the quarter, giving the Swarm a 3-0 lead. The Swarm led the Mammoth 3-1 at the end of the first quarter.
Forward John Grant led Colorado with seven points (2g, 5a). G Chris Levis played a complete game for the Mammoth and made 31 saves on 42 shots.
Minnesota picked up its second victory over Colorado this season. On Feb. 20, the Swarm defeated the Mammoth 12-10 at the Pepsi Center. With the win, the Swarm now trails the first place Western division Calgary Roughnecks by half a game.
Minnesota hits the road on Friday, March 25 to take on the Edmonton Rush at 8 p.m. CDT. 2011 Swarm road games are streamed LIVE on mnswarm.com and nll.com at no cost. The Swarm returns home to battle the Buffalo Bandits during "Family Day at the Hive" on Sunday, March 27 at 1 p.m. CDT. The game will be broadcast LIVE on VERSUS. Lower level single game tickets can be purchased for as low as $24 for 2011 home games. Tickets are available online at mnswarm.com or by calling 888-MN-SWARM.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from March 5, 2011
- Stealth Dominate for Second Straight Win - Washington Stealth
- Knighthawks' Comeback Falls Short In Buffalo - Rochester Knighthawks
- Wings Fall to Roughnecks 13-7 - Philadelphia Wings
- Washington Stealth Forward Zywicki Activated from IR - Washington Stealth
- Knighthawks Deal Zash, Activate Holdon Vyse - Rochester Knighthawks
- Swarm defeat Mammoth 11-10 in overtime - Minnesota Swarm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota Swarm Stories
- Minnesota Swarm Announce Relocation Plans for 2016
- Minnesota Swarm Announce Coaching Staff Change
- Minnesota Swarm Win Overtime Thriller against Rochester in Season
- Minnesota Swarm Face Knighthawks in Last Game of Season
- Minnesota Swarm's Comeback Not Enough against Edmonton