Surge lose 4-0
A four goal second period outburst for the second straight game was the undoing of the Mississippi Surge in a 4-0 loss to the Augusta RiverHawks Friday night in Augusta. The loss was the second straight for the Surge, which dropped back-to-back games in regulation time for just the second time this season, and the first time in a month.
The win for Augusta, its third of the season, was the first home win of this season for the RiverHawks and first time they have managed successive wins.
After a scoreless first period, Shawn Skelly opened the scoring for Augusta at 1:35 of the second, tucking the puck under Surge goaltender Dan Clarke into the lower left corner. Dennis Sicard and William Lacasse scored to boost the lead to 3-0 midway through the period. Skelly then got his second goal of the game with only 40 seconds left in the period.
In the third period, Kiefer Smiley replaced Clarke in the Surge goal. But the Surge were unable to score on Augusta goaltender Robbie Moss, who stopped 28 shots to notch the first shutout of his professional career.
The same two teams will meet Saturday night in Augusta at 6:35 p.m. Central time. That game can be viewed at Mugshots Grill and Bar. That will wrap up a six game road trip for the Surge, which will return home to take on the Fayetteville FireAntz December 14th.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2012
- Ice Flyers win 2-1 - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- 'Hawks Blank Surge to Collect Second - Augusta RiverHawks
- IceGators Dominate Knoxville, Win 4-2 - Louisiana IceGators
- Surge lose 4-0 - Mississippi Surge
- Snakes Drop Pair Of Games At Home - Columbus Cottonmouths
- Rookie Leads RiverKings past Ice Flyers - Pensacola Ice Flyers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.