Steeldogs' Tanney Named af2 Offensive Player of the Week
Chicago, Ill. - Steeldogs quarterback Mitch Tanney was named the Schutt Offensive Player of the Week today by the af2 league office for his nine-touchdown performance against the South Georgia Wildcats last weekend.
Tanney completed 28-of-40 passes for 324 yards and five scores in Saturday's 71-61 upset victory over the Wildcats, in addition to a league-high and single-game team record four rushing TDs.
The Monmouth standout has completed 65.9 percent of his passes this season for 3,272 yards and 63 touchdowns. He has also rushed for eight scores in 2007. Tanney is currently ranked third in the league in pass completion percentage and tenth with a passer rating of 111.3.
The Steeldogs QB has been on a record breaking tear this season, having already eclipsed or tied a number of team single season and game records. Tanney broke the team single-season record for most pass completions earlier this season. He currently has 311 completions - well ahead of the old mark of 260 set by Montressa Kirby in 2002.
He has also tied the team single-game record for most completions in a game with 31 against Oklahoma City on July 7. Josh Kellett completed 31 passes against Tennessee Valley back on June 28, 2003.
With 271 passing yards against the Cincinnati Jungle Kats on Saturday, Tanney can break the Steeldogs' long-standing single season passing yards record. Chris Windsor holds the current record of 3,542 yards, set during the 2001 season. In addition, he can break the single-season record for pass attempts against the Jungle Kats with 30 attempts.
The Steeldogs and Jungle Kats square off at the BJCC this Saturday at 7 p.m. Tickets are available by calling Ticketmaster at 715-6000 or by logging on to steeldogs.com.
Steeldogs games can be heard live on the Alabama Steeldogs Flagship station WSPZ 690 "The Animal" and online at www.themightyx.com, with veteran broadcasters Matt Coulter and Roger Shultz calling the action.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 26, 2007
- Quad City Steamwheelers Keep Division Championship Hopes Alive - Quad City Steamwheelers
- Former Dorados in ArenaBowl - Rio Grande Valley Dorados
- Friday Night matchup - af2
- Sharks Weekly - Corpus Christi Sharks
- af2 Quick Hitters - af2
- Simpson is Co-Defensive Player of the Week - Arkansas Diamonds
- Twisters Game Notes - Arkansas Diamonds
- Giddens Honored By af2 - Manchester Wolves
- Playoff Tickets Go On Sale Monday - Arkansas Diamonds
- af2 Weekly Awards - af2
- Jungle Kats Close-Out Regular Season in Alabama Saturday Night - Cincinnati Jungle Kats
- Steeldogs Come Home With Playoffs On The Line - Alabama Steeldogs
- Steeldogs' Tanney Named af2 Offensive Player of the Week - Alabama Steeldogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.