Steeldogs Stumble at Home, 60-27
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Chris Wallace finished 20 of 32 for 255 yards and seven touchdowns as the Florida Firecats defeated the Birmingham Steeldogs, 60-27, in front of 5,121 fans at the BJCC Arena.
With the win, Florida secured their hold on the South Division, improving their record to 9-2. Birmingham falls back to .500 with the loss, at 6-6.
The Firecats scored touchdowns on each of their first nine drives, with Ethenic Sands pulling down two quick Wallace touchdown passes in the first quarter to give Florida a 14-0 lead. Birmingham never could catch up.
Florida's Brittney Tellis caught nine passes for 103 yards and two touchdowns while Sands caught six passes for 48 yards and four scores. Lawrence Story led the Steeldogs' receiving corps, catching five passes for 84 yards, including a 45-yard touchdown pass from Ryan Hawk.
Hawk struggled under center, completing six of 11 passes for 76 yards, one touchdown and one interception. He was spelled by Robert Kent in the second half, who completed nine of 19 passes for 119 yards and a touchdown. He threw an interception on the last play of the game.
The Steeldogs get a bye next week before traveling to Rio Grande Valley on July 8.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from June 24, 2006
- Quad City Steamwheelers Win 65-59 in a Wild Finish Over the Tennessee Valley Vipers - Quad City Steamwheelers
- Memphis wins over South Georgia - Memphis Xplorers
- Steeldogs Stumble at Home, 60-27 - Alabama Steeldogs
- af2 Sunday Night Matchup - af2
- Alaska Professional Sports announces Anchorage-based af2 team - Alaska Wild
- Coyotes to Meet the Hawks for the Third and Final Time This Season - Central Valley Coyotes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.