Steel Lose to Ice Dogs
(Chippewa Falls, WI)- Tonight the Steel played the second game of the weekend series versus the Fairbanks Ice Dogs. Fairbanks scored early on a scramble in front of Berkeliev and would tally twice in the period. Steel were outshot 15-6 in the first period and Ice Dogs defense and goaltender Kayden Hargraves kept the chances to a minimum.
During the second period both teams picked up the pace and had ample scoring chances. Fairbanks controlled stretches of the period and would outshoot the Steel 6-4 but the Steel went three for three on the penalty kill and ended the period with a goal. With just three seconds left Ethan Benz slipped the puck five hole on goaltender Kayden Hargraves to cut the Fairbanks lead in half to enter the third period.
In the third period Fairbanks struck first but the Steel fought back hard and put the pressure on late in the period. Down 3-1 with two minutes remaining the Steel pulled goaltender Berkeliev but couldn't create enough opportunities to tie the game. Berkeliev had another good night in net stopping 25 shots and making some great saves.
The Steel return to the Chippewa Area Ice Arena again tomorrow night to face the Fairbanks Ice Dogs for the final time this weekend. Saturday is Fandana Giveaway presented by Kwik Trip. Limited tickets are available at chippewasteelhockey.com.
The Chippewa Steel are members of the NAHL which is the oldest and largest junior hockey league of its kind in the United States and one of only two USA Hockey-certified leagues that operate under the non-pay-to-play model. The NAHL is also one of the best at advancing players to NCAA and professional hockey. Notable Alumni of the NAHL include Ryan Suter (MIN), Patrick Kane (CHI) and Phil Kessel (ARI) All league games are viewable via HockeyTV. For more information, visit chippewasteelhockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from February 13, 2021
- Wings Sweep Austin with 3-1 Saturday Road Win - Aberdeen Wings
- Bugs Rout Bulls - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bruins Drop Second Consecutive Game to Aberdeen, 3-1 - Austin Bruins
- Norsemen Fall in Wild Third Period Finish to Bismarck ÃÂ - St. Cloud Norsemen
- Tomahawks Edge out Black Bears - Maryland Black Bears
- Graziano Stands Tall in Debut for Weekend Sweep - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Steel Lose to Ice Dogs - Chippewa Steel
- Wilderness Promotional Schedule Announced - Minnesota Wilderness
- Bugs Drop Fourth Straight at Home - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Wings Snag 3-1 Road Win over Austin - Aberdeen Wings
- Test of Wills Goes to Aberdeen, 3-1 - Austin Bruins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.