Stallions Hire Washington State Assistant Bergeron as Hitting Coach
The Saugerties Stallions are pleased to announce the hiring of Greg Bergeron as the franchise's hitting coach for the 2020 season. Bergeron has 25 years of experience as a collegiate coach, including 17 years at the Division I level. He is currently an assistant coach at Washington State University, focusing on the infield, hitting, and offensive game plan.
An offensive guru who's coached that side of the game in 23 of his 25 seasons, Bergeron's resume speaks for itself. Prior to his current role at Washington State, the California native served as an associate head coach (2017-2019) and assistant coach (2015-2017) for West Coast powerhouse Long Beach State University. From 2011-2015, Bergeron roamed the dugout on Rocky Top as the associate head coach for the University of Tennessee. Back in California, Bergeron assisted at both Cal State Fullerton (2007-2011) and UC Irvine (2004-2007). Prior to his streak at Division I programs, Bergeron commanded the California junior college system on the diamond. He was the head coach (2003- 2004) and head assistant coach (1997-2003) at El Camino College following a sting at Cypress College (1996-1997).
Bergeron's coaching career began as a volunteer assistant at Loyola Marymount University (1995-1996).
Bergeron's career accomplishments include:
- Helped lead UC Irvine and Cal State Fullerton to the College World Series
- Coached teams to four NCAA Super Regionals, eight NCAA Regionals, and two SEC Tournaments
- Tutored over 100 MLB Draft picks, including five first-round selections
- Of those 100+ draftees, roughly 20 reached the Major Leagues
- Secured a California State Championship at the JUCO level, reaching the playoffs in seven of eight seasons at that level
"This is a big day for the Stallions as we continue to trend upwards," said Stallions Owner and President Kevin Hinchey.
"Adding an experienced coach like Greg Bergeron will help in the development of our hitters and position players. The goal of summer baseball is to send players back better than when we got them and our coaching staff will certainly do that."
Bergeron joins third-year Stallions Head Coach Collin Martin and former Philadelphia Phillies Pitching Coach Rich Dubee on the Stallions' 2020 staff.
• Discuss this story on the Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League message board...
Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League Stories from January 16, 2020
- Stallions Hire Washington State Assistant Bergeron as Hitting Coach - Saugerties Stallions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.