Sporting Community Kitchen Serves Thousands in KC
In partnership with Operation BBQ Relief, Sporting Community Kitchen has distributed over 30,000 free meals to citizens across Greater Kansas City affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Sporting Community Kitchen launched on April 13 as the first major initiative of Sporting Serves, a newly established philanthropic platform in which Sporting Kansas City and The Victory Project -- the club's flagship charitable arm -- unite with community partners to support families across the metropolitan area.
"Sporting Kansas City has been privileged to work alongside Operation BBQ Relief and provide thousands of free meals to families during this challenging and unprecedented time," Sporting KC President and CEO Jake Reid said. "With generous contributions from countless volunteers and local partners, Sporting Community Kitchen is an initiative we are extremely proud of. Through the Sporting Serves platform, we look forward to supporting the Kansas City community well into the future."
For the last six weeks, Operation BBQ Relief has partnered with two local restaurants and two food truck businesses to provide free meals for daily distribution at Sporting Community Kitchen, which will serve the public for the last time this Friday, May 22, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Children's Mercy Park.
Sporting Community Kitchen has received further support from volunteers, City Foods & Events -- the exclusive catering operator of Sporting Kansas City -- and multiple partners including Price Chopper, Heartland Coca-Cola, BODYARMOR and Sysco.
Founded in May 2011, Operation BBQ Relief has provided over 5 million meals throughout the United States and globally. In response to COVID-19, Operation BBQ Relief has piloted the Operation Restaurant Relief program to feed communities in need while supporting restaurants and their employees. The nonprofit organization has helped serve over 125,000 meals in the Kansas City area since March.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 21, 2020
- Wil Trapp Wins #MLSIdle, Raises Money for Charity - Inter Miami CF
- Futbol Focus: Andres Reyes - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting Community Kitchen Serves Thousands in KC - Sporting Kansas City
- Jaap Stam Named FC Cincinnati Head Coach - FC Cincinnati
- Sporting KC Announces New Facility Names with Compass Minerals - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sporting Kansas City Stories
- Sporting KC and Parisi Coffee Release Sporting Calcio 2020 Blend
- Sporting Community Kitchen Serves Thousands in KC
- Sporting KC Announces New Facility Names with Compass Minerals
- Sporting KC Invites Class of 2020 to Capture Grad Photos
- Kuzain, Alekzandur Finish Second in eMLS Tournament Special