Spike Lundberg named Southern League Most Outstanding Pitcher
August 31, 2006 - Southern League (SL) News Release
MARIETTA, GA - The Southern League of Professional Baseball Clubs is pleased to announce that Jacksonville Suns' right-hander Spike Lundberg has been named the Most Outstanding Pitcher as voted upon by the league's field managers, radio broadcasters and print media.
A solid starter for the entire season, Lundberg is leading the Southern League with a 2.36 ERA. He ranks second among all hurlers with 14 victories.
The San Diego, CA native enjoyed an 11-game winning streak from May 1 through August 16. He has allowed one or fewer runs in 14 of his 23 starts and has held opponents scoreless in 5 starts. Opposing hitters have managed a measly .227 average against the righty and have struck out 105 times. Lundberg has allowed just 121 hits, including 3 home runs, and 41 walks in his 144.2 innings and carries a WHIP of 1.12. He has gone at least five innings in all but one of his starts.
The 29-year-old was named to the Southern League's mid-season All-Star team but was unable to participate due to a June 15 promotion to Triple-A Las Vegas. He returned to Jacksonville on July 4.
Lundberg joins a select group of pitchers who have won the award. Current Major Leaguers Mark Buehrle, Francisco Cordero, Scott Eyre and Vinnie Chulk have all been named the Southern League's Most Outstanding Pitcher in the past. Last year's winner, Ricky Nolasco, is currently a member of the Florida Marlins' starting rotation.
The Texas Rangers selected Lundberg in the twenty-sixth round of the 1997 draft. The nine-year minor league veteran has spent parts of six seasons at the Double-A level. He has been a member of the Rangers', Cardinals', Phillies', Blue Jays' and Dodgers' organizations. He signed as a free agent with the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2006.
W-L G ERA IP H R ER HR BB SO
Lundberg 14-2 23 2.36 144.2 121 42 38 3 41 105
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 31, 2006
- Chattanooga defeats Jaxx 3-1 - Jackson Generals
- Stars cap remarkable month of August with shutout win - Huntsville Stars
- BayBears topple Smokies 9-3 - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears win sixth in a row, 9-3 - Mobile BayBears
- Braves take game one from Biscuits, 4-2 - Mississippi Braves
- Biscuits' Andy Sonnanstine named to S.L. Postseason All-Star Team - Montgomery Biscuits
- Ernesto postpones series opener at Carolina - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Carolina-Jacksonville Postponed - Carolina Mudcats
- 2006 BayBears player awards announced - Mobile BayBears
- Barone joins Mudcats, Brauer sent down - Carolina Mudcats
- Devine heads to the bigs - Mississippi Braves
- Four Tennessee Smokies named to Postseason All-Star squad - Tennessee Smokies
- Southern League honors Shoemaker, Lundberg - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Joey Votto named Southern League Most Valuable Player - SL
- Spike Lundberg named Southern League Most Outstanding Pitcher - SL
- John Shoemaker named Southern League Manager of the Year - SL
- Southern League announces Postseason All-Star Team - SL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.