Soul Hold off Wings for 8-6 Victory
CHICAGO -- In a close battle, the Chicago Soul (9-12) were able to hold off the Wichita Wings (6-13) to grab an 8-6 victory on Thursday night at the Sears Centre Arena. Led by Bato Radoncic's pair of goals, the Soul managed to solidify fourth place in MISL standings with the win and hold steady for playoff position.
"There was a lot of pressure on this game," said Soul Head Coach Novi Marojevic. "We knew there was a lot riding on tonight, so it was a hard game for us mentally. But overall, I think the guys played a good game and possessed the ball pretty well. They gave up some cheap goals, but they found a way to finish and win the game, and that's what counts."
After a scoreless first quarter, Chicago's Eric Lukin got points on the board in the second quarter when he headed home a ball from Carlos Farias to give the Soul a 2-0 lead over the Wings before the half came to a close.
Wichita opened up second-half scoring as Adrian Gonzalez netted one in to tie the game at two apiece. Miguel Ferrer followed up with another goal 10 seconds later, giving the Wings their first lead of the game. Radoncic managed to find the equalizer after finishing on a pass from Pablo, and the squads returned to a tie game with four points each by the end of the third quarter.
The fourth quarter opened up to a dominant Soul squad as Aaron Nichols put Chicago back on top, sending the ball from Matthew Stewart into the net. Radoncic rebounded his own shot less than a minute later to extend the Soul's lead to 8-4 over the Wings. With less than 4 minutes to play, Wichita pulled a sixth attacker and managed to find some scoring power as Freddy Moojen shot one past Soul goalkeeper Jeff Richey, cutting Chicago's advantage to 8-6. The Wings continued to make a push to equalize, but were held off in the finals seconds, and the Soul went on to collect the victory.
The Soul return to action on Friday, February 8 when they host the Rochester Lancers at the Sears Centre Arena. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. CT. For ticket information, visit www.chicagosoulfc.com or call (224) 699-4110.
• Discuss this story on the Major Indoor Soccer League message board...
Major Indoor Soccer League Stories from January 31, 2013
- Soul Hold off Wings for 8-6 Victory - Chicago Soul FC
- Wave Look to Make it 15 in a Row - Milwaukee Wave
- NEW Knights Host Baltimore in Virtual "Must-Win" Game - Syracuse Silver Knights
- Comets Heading Down Home Stretch - Kansas City Comets
Other Recent Chicago Soul FC Stories
- Soul Eliminated from Playoffs as Blast Collect 10-7 Victory
- Soul set out for redemption in Baltimore
- Soul Beaten by Blast in Game One of Semifinals
- Soul prepare for first-round playoff matchup against Blast
- Soul Clinch MISL Playoff Berth with Win over Silver Knights