Soul Edge Past Comets for Back-To-Back Victory
CHICAGO -- The Chicago Soul claimed their first back-to-back victory on Friday when they defeated the Missouri Comets 13-8 at the Sears Centre Arena. Powered by Carlos Muñoz's pair of goals, the Soul were able to pull away late in the match to grab the win and improve to a 4-8 overall record.
After a back-and-forth battle that resulted in a tie game heading into the final period of play, Chicago was finally able to gain momentum on a goal by Fred Degand that put the Soul on top, 10-8. Muñoz then sealed the game, firing from the 3-point range to make it 13-8.
"I think we played well in the first half, but I think we played harder in the second," said Muñoz. "We maintained possession, created more shots and more chances, and we've gotten better at finishing now, so we were able to put away the game."
Missouri opened up the scoring on a three-point goal by Lucas Rodriguez in the first quarter. The Soul came up with an answer as Carlos Farias found the back of the net to make it a 3-2 Comets lead. Chicago added fuel to the fire when Muñoz netted one in to make it a 4-3 Soul advantage.
Ramone Palmer restored Missouri's lead in the opening minutes of the second quarter to make it 5-4, with the Comets in favor.
Bato Radoncic edged Chicago back in the lead after volleying the ball into the net early in the third quarter, but Missouri's Milan Ivanovic fired from the 3-point arc to make it an 8-6 Comets advantage. Radoncic struck again with 11 seconds remaining in the period, and both teams headed into the fourth tied at 8 apiece.
"I'm definitely seeing a lot of improvement in these guys," Soul Head Coach Novi Marojevic said of his team. "They are playing better and better each game, but we still have a long way to go. We have to continue to put in a lot of hard work and effort."
The Soul travel to Wichita next to face off against the Wings for Game 2 of their doubleheader weekend. Kickoff is set for 7:35 p.m. CT at the Hartman Arena. The Soul return home to take on the Syracuse Silver Knights on January 4 at the Sears Centre Arena. For ticket information, visit www.chicagosoulfc.com or call (224) 699-4110.
• Discuss this story on the Major Indoor Soccer League message board...
Major Indoor Soccer League Stories from December 28, 2012
- Silver Knights Take Loss in Wichita - Syracuse Silver Knights
- Soul Edge Past Comets for Back-To-Back Victory - Chicago Soul FC
- Wings Down Silver Knights for Third Time - Wichita Wings
- Comets Lose in Chicago - Kansas City Comets
- Lancers Raise $3500 for West Webster Fire Department - Rochester Lancers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Soul FC Stories
- Soul Eliminated from Playoffs as Blast Collect 10-7 Victory
- Soul set out for redemption in Baltimore
- Soul Beaten by Blast in Game One of Semifinals
- Soul prepare for first-round playoff matchup against Blast
- Soul Clinch MISL Playoff Berth with Win over Silver Knights