Soul Add Midfielder Semir Mesanovic to Roster
CHICAGO -- The Chicago Soul announced the addition of MISL veteran midfielder Semir Mesanovic to the active roster on Friday. Mesanovic, who brings along 13 years of professional soccer experience, will try to provide the Soul with a boost as they prepare to make a push for playoffs in their inaugural year.
"I've known [Mesanovic] for years, and I'm excited to have him on the team," said Soul Head Coach Novi Marojevic. "He's a great player and a great person. He has the skills and abilities to control the game in the middle, and he can score and set guys up. He's going to bring great experience to the club and help us get to the playoffs."
Mesanovic is no stranger to the Chicagoland area. The 32-year-old Toronto, Canada native comes to the Soul from the Rockford Rampage of the Professional Arena Soccer League (PASL). There, he led the squad in scoring with 14 goals in 11 games. Prior to Rockford, Mesanovic was with the MISL's Chicago Riot, where again, he led all members in scoring with 45 points during the 2009-2010 campaign. He recorded 17 goals, nine assists and 18 blocks in 22 games. In 2007, Mesanovic recorded his career best with the California Cougars, posting 56 points, 19 goals, 14 assists and 13 blocks.
In 2005, Mesanovic played with the MISL's Chicago Storm, and in 2004, he spent the season with the Milwaukee Wave, where he earned an MISL championship in his rookie season with the league. Mesanovic also had stints with the Philadelphia KiXX, Minnesota Thunder, Indiana Blast, and Toronto Croatia, where he earned Rookie of the Year in the Canadian Professional Soccer League (CPSL). He has also played professionally in Turkey and Bosnia.
Mesanovic is set to make his debut with the Soul on Saturday when they face the Wings in Wichita. Kickoff is set for 7:35 p.m. CT at the Hartman Arena. The Soul will return home on January 31 to take on the Wings once again. For ticket information, visit www.chicagosoulfc.com or call (224) 699-4110.
• Discuss this story on the Major Indoor Soccer League message board...
Major Indoor Soccer League Stories from January 25, 2013
- Wave Hold Off Wings to Extend Winning Streak to 13 - Milwaukee Wave
- Despite Late Push, Wings Fall to Wave - Wichita Wings
- Blast top the Lancers 20-9 - Rochester Lancers
- Soul Add Midfielder Semir Mesanovic to Roster - Chicago Soul FC
- Comets Add Depth For Playoff Push - Kansas City Comets
- Comets Ready For Another East Coast Swing - Kansas City Comets
- Chicago Soul Weekend Preview - Chicago Soul FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Soul FC Stories
- Soul Eliminated from Playoffs as Blast Collect 10-7 Victory
- Soul set out for redemption in Baltimore
- Soul Beaten by Blast in Game One of Semifinals
- Soul prepare for first-round playoff matchup against Blast
- Soul Clinch MISL Playoff Berth with Win over Silver Knights