Solar Bears to Seek NHL Affiliation for 2018-19 Season
ORLANDO, Fla. - After maintaining a relationship for the past five seasons, the Orlando Solar Bears and the Toronto Maple Leafs will not be extending their affiliation agreement for the 2018-19 season, both teams announced today.
"We want to thank the Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Marlies organizations for having us serve as their ECHL affiliate since the 2013-14 season," Solar Bears president Chris Heller said. "Having said that, we are excited as we begin a new chapter in Orlando Solar Bears hockey, with the pending announcement of our new NHL and AHL affiliates for the upcoming season."
The Maple Leafs have entered into an affiliation with the Newfoundland Growlers, an ECHL expansion franchise based out of St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador that will begin play in the 2018-19 campaign. An announcement regarding Orlando's new NHL affiliate for the 2018-19 season will be made later this summer.
Three former Solar Bears - Garret Sparks, Christopher Gibson, and Jack Rodewald - have made their NHL debuts after first seeing time in Orlando while assigned by the Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Marlies organizations. In addition, Orlando has loaned several players on ECHL contracts to the Toronto Marlies over the course of the affiliation, including Hunter Fejes and Nolan Valleau during the 2017-18 season, while defenseman Sam Jardine signed an AHL contract with Toronto for the 2017-18 campaign after first agreeing to terms with the Solar Bears during the offseason.
Orlando Solar Bears affiliate history:
Minnesota Wild (NHL) & Houston Aeros/Iowa Wild (AHL): 2012-14
Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL) & Toronto Marlies (AHL): 2013-18
2018-19 Season Ticket Memberships:
Season Ticket Memberships for the seventh season of ECHL Orlando Solar Bears hockey are now on sale. Full and Half-Season memberships are both available, starting as low as $270. For more information, call (407) 951-8200 or visit orlandosolarbearshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from June 14, 2018
- Gladiators Complete Troock Trade with Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Owner to Hold Forum - Rapid City Rush
- Final $50,000 Lease Payment Made by Civic Center Coalition - Adirondack Thunder
- Solar Bears to Seek NHL Affiliation for 2018-19 Season - Orlando Solar Bears
- Newfoundland Growlers Announce Affiliation with Toronto Maple Leafs & Toronto Marlies - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- Solar Bears to Face Everblades in South Division Finals
- Solar Bears Advance to South Division Finals with 5-2 Win over Stingrays
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays
- Otto Somppi Added to Solar Bears Playoff Roster
- Three-Goal Second Period Gives Solar Bears 4-1 Win and 3-1 Series Lead over Stingrays