Solar Bears to Raise Turner Cup Championship Banner
Orlando, Fl. - The Orlando Solar Bears announced today that they will honor the 2001 (IHL) Championship team by raising the Turner Cup Championship banner during this year's Out of Hibernation season. The banner is scheduled to be raised during a special pre-game ceremony on Saturday, February 2, 2013 at the Amway Center before the Solar Bears take on the Trenton Titans.
In 2001, the Orlando Solar Bears defeated the Chicago Wolves 5-1 in Game 5 of the best of seven series to win the Championship series 4 games to 1. The Solar Bears were the last IHL team to win the Turner Cup before the IHL ceased operations that summer.
"From 'Day One' of our existence we have had every intention of honoring the past as we celebrate our future. This is unfinished business," stated Solar Bears Managing Partner Jason Siegel. "For the players and coaches, front office staff, Amway Arena staff, and fans of the 2001 Championship team this ceremony is long overdue and we are honored to play a small role in assuring it happens."
The banner raising pregame ceremony will include special appearances by members of the Solar Bears' championship team. Arrangements have been made with the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto to have the Turner Cup on hand and the current Solar Bears team will wear commemorative throw-back jerseys that night. Fans in attendance on February 2 will take home commemorative mini-banners as a keep sake.
Over the next 2-6 weeks the Solar Bears expect to announce a number of player signings, our new radio broadcast partner, details for our OSB Training Camp dates and Open Invitation Try-Out, Single Game Ticket "On Sale" date, details regarding the formation of the OSB Alumni Association, details about two trophies that will be awarded annually to a current Solar Bears player in honor and memory of both Dan Snyder and Rob Kenny, and a number of exciting promotional events. In addition, the Solar Bears will unveil a commemorative "Out of Hibernation" logo that will be affixed to the team's home and road jerseys for the 2012-13 season. The team also plans to unveil its 3rd jersey during the early portion of the season. Follow the Solar Bears at OrlandoSolarBearsHockey.com, Facebook and Twitter for all the latest news and updates.
The Orlando Solar Bears, the ECHL affiliate of the NHL's Minnesota Wild and AHL's Houston Aeros, are coming Out of Hibernation and will play 36 regular season home games at the 2012 Street and Smith's Sports Business Journal Sports Facility of the Year, the Amway Center, beginning October 20, 2012.
Season ticket plans are available now. Everyone is invited to take advantage of the Orlando Solar Bears season ticket pre-sale offer by placing a $50 deposit per ticket now to receive seat selection priority. Full and half season ticket plans range in price from $225-$1480 per season ticket (includes facility fee), reflecting a savings of up to 42% off box office pricing. Call the Solar Bears at 407-951-8200 or visit OrlandoSolarBearsHockey.com.
Group tickets are a great way to entertain employees, co-workers, clients, friends and family. For more information on discounted group tickets and a list of group benefits, call 407-951-8200.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from August 1, 2012
- Thunder Announces Change to 2012-13 Schedule - Stockton Thunder
- Center Jesse Fratkin, Thunder Agree to Terms - Stockton Thunder
- Solar Bears to Raise Turner Cup Championship Banner - Orlando Solar Bears
- Sean Mitton & Andrew Hewitt on all new Episode of Puska on Pucks - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Condors Add Annesley and Meilleur to 2012-13 Roster - Bakersfield Condors
- Brendan Connolly Returning to the Road Warriors - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Komets Add Four to Roster; Champs Auger, Henley, Rizk Coming Back for More - Fort Wayne Komets
- Walleye and Red Wings Renew Affiliation - Toledo Walleye
- Nailers Agree to Terms with Adam Ross - Wheeling Nailers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- Solar Bears Earn Point in 3-2 Shootout Loss to Stingrays
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears vs. South Carolina Stingrays
- Valleau Returns from IceHogs
- Join Your Orlando Solar Bears at the 2018 Walk to Defeat ALS
- Novak Leads the Way with Five Points in 8-5 Win over Everblades