Sky Blue FC Announces Coaching and Training Staff
Howell, NJ - Sky Blue FC of the National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) has named Freya Coombe Interim Head Coach and announced the hiring of additional coaching and training staff.
Iouri "George" Vichniakov will serve as Assistant Coach & Player Development Advisor and Marcia McDermott will serve as Technical Advisor.
Coach Hugo Macedo, who led Sky Blue to a 4-2-4 record while overseeing gameday responsibilities, will return to his role as Goalkeeper Coach and work closely with Interim Head Coach Coombe.
"I'm grateful to management and ownership for the opportunity to coach such a great group of athletes and professionals," said Coach Coombe. "Sky Blue has made a lot of progress this year, and I'm looking forward to formalizing my role, working hard, and continuing that momentum."
"These professionals have been working with the team over the past few weeks and the players have responded really well," said Sky Blue General Manager Alyse LaHue. "We look forward to a strong end to the season with continued progress and positive results."
Coach Coombe joins Sky Blue FC from New York Soccer Club (NYSC), where she serves as the Director of Scouting and a Development Academy Coach. NYSC is an official Girls Development Academy partner of Sky Blue FC.
Coombe played five years at Reading FC in England, a club that is now a part of the Barclays FA Women's Super League. She also coached at the club for seven years, serving as the Director of Coaching for the Reading FC Centre of Excellence and as the Women's Development Team Manager for Reading FC Women.
Coombe holds USSF B and UEFA B licenses and is actively progressing towards her USSF A license.
Iouri "George" Vichniakov
Coach Vichniakov previously was the head coach of the Jersey Express of the Premier Development League, now known as USL League Two. He compiled a 47-18-15 record over four years as head coach and then as Sporting Director. During his tenure, the Jersey Express were 2014 Mid-Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference champions.
Vichniakov currently serves as the Director of Coaching and Player Development at New York Chelsea FC. He holds USSF B and UEFA A licenses.
McDermott brings a wealth of experience from the college to professional level, both as a coach and as an executive. She won a championship as a Head Coach with the Carolina Courage of Women's United Soccer Association (WUSA) and served as the General Manager for the Chicago Red Stars of Women's Professional Soccer (WPS).
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from September 4, 2019
- Sky Blue FC Announces Coaching and Training Staff - Sky Blue FC
- Christen Press Selected as NWSL Player of the Week - Utah Royals FC
- Christen Press Voted NWSL Player of the Month - NWSL
- September 14 Match against Orlando Pride to be Designated Breast Cancer Awareness Night Presented by Aetna - North Carolina Courage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sky Blue FC Stories
- Sky Blue FC Forward Paige Monaghan Named Budweiser Woman of the Week
- Sky Blue Closes Fall Series with 3-1 Win against Chicago
- Sky Blue FC Defender Midge Purce Named to U.S. Women's National Team October Training Camp Roster
- Sky Blue FC to Play for Local Non-Profit New Jersey Institute for Social Justice in 2020 Verizon Community Shield
- Sky Blue Falls to the Washington Spirit 1-0 in Third Fall Series Match