Seven Atlanta United Players Receive National Team Call-Ups for March FIFA Window
March 21, 2023 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Atlanta United FC News Release
ATLANTA - Luis Abram, Thiago Almada, Machop Chol, Derrick Etienne Jr., Giorgos Giakoumakis, Ronald Hernández and Miles Robinson have received call-ups from their respective national teams for the March 20-28 FIFA window, the club announced today.
Abram will join Peru for two friendlies against Germany on March 25 and Morocco on March 28. The defender has represented Peru 33 times at the international level, including 11 matches in World Cup qualification, making his senior national team debut in a friendly against Trinidad and Tobago on May 24, 2016.
Almada returns to Argentina's squad after becoming the first active MLS player to win the FIFA World Cup in Qatar. The 21-year-old made one appearance in the tournament, entering as a substitute against Poland in the group stage. He has two appearances with Argentina's senior national team, earning his first call-up for two friendlies in September 2022, making his debut against Honduras. Argentina will play two home friendlies against Panama on March 23 and Curacao on March 28.
Chol was called up to join South Sudan for a pair of qualification matches for the African Cup of Nations against Republic of the Congo on March 23 and 27. The Homegrown earned his first international call-up to play for South Sudan during the November 2021 international window and made his national team debut on Jan. 27, 2022 in a friendly against Uzbekistan.
Etienne Jr. will join Haiti for two Concacaf Nations League matches against Montserrat on March 25 and Bermuda on March 28. The winger has earned 36 caps and scored seven goals with the Haiti since making his debut as a substitute in a Caribbean Cup qualifier against French Guiana on Nov. 9, 2016. Most recently, Etienne Jr. scored two goals and had one assist in a pair of Concacaf Nations League matches against Guyana June 11 and 15, 2022.
Giakoumakis will join Greece for a European Qualifying match for Euro 2024 against Gibraltar on March 24 and a friendly against Lithuania on March 27. The 28-year-old forward has represented Greece at both the U-21 and senior level. He's made 11 appearances and scored two goals for his country. He scored on his international debut on Nov. 11, 2020 in a friendly against Cyprus.
Hernández will join Venezuela for a pair of friendlies as La Vinotinto will face Saudi Arabia on March 24 and Uzbekistan on March 28, both of which will be played in Saudi Arabia. Hernández has made 32 appearances for Venezuela and recorded one goal and three assists. He appeared in 11 of Venezuela's 16 World Cup Qualifiers this past cycle.
Robinson returns to the USMNT for two Concacaf Nations League matches against Grenada on March 24 and El Salvador on March 27. He has 20 caps and three goals with the USMNT, earning his senior team debut on Sept. 6, 2019 coming on as a substitute in a friendly against Mexico. Robinson started all six matches and scored two goals at the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup where he helped the U.S. secure five clean sheets and scored the game-winning goal in the final as the U.S. beat Mexico 1-0. He started 11 of 14 World Cup Qualifiers this past cycle, helping the USMNT qualify for the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
Atlanta travels to face Columbus Crew on Saturday, March 25 at Lower.com Field (7:30 p.m. EST, MLS Season Pass, Star 94, La Mejor).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 21, 2023
- Six Sounders FC Players Report for International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- The Pitch (Matchday 5): Top Things to Watch in MLS this Week - MLS
- Noonan Preparing for 'Strong' Nashville Side Ahead of First Visit to GEODIS Park - FC Cincinnati
- Seven Atlanta United Players Receive National Team Call-Ups for March FIFA Window - Atlanta United FC
- LA Galaxy Acquire Defender Julián Aude from Argentine Primera División Side Club Atlético Lanús - LA Galaxy
- Róbert Thorkelsson Called up by Iceland's U21 Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- Sounders FC Receives $150,000 in General Allocation Money - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Acquire 2023 International Roster Slot from Seattle Sounders FC in Exchange for $150,000 in General Allocation Money - LA Galaxy
- Inter Miami CF Announces Theme Matches and Promotional Items for 2023 Season - Inter Miami CF
- New York Red Bulls Forward Cory Burke Named to Jamaican Men's National Team Roster for March Nation League Match - New York Red Bulls
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Jakob Glesnes to New Contract - Philadelphia Union
- Hiebert Earns First Canadian Men's National Team Call Up - St. Louis City SC
- MLS All-Stars to Face Arsenal FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- MLS All-Stars to Face Arsenal FC at Audi Field in the 2023 MLS All-Star Game - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Miles Robinson Called-Up to USMNT Nations League Roster
- Atlanta United Plays to 3-3 Draw vs. New England Revolution
- Voting Opens Today for 2023 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution
- Atlanta United Plays to 1-1 Draw at Orlando City SC