Senators Sign Defenceman Lee Sweatt to a One-Year Contract
OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - July 11, 2011) - This document corrects and replaces the press release that was sent today at 2:10 PM EDT. The error occurred in the title where it should have read "Two-Year Contract".
The Ottawa Senators announced today the club has signed defenceman Lee Sweatt to a two-year, two-way contract.
Sweatt, 25, spent last season in the Vancouver Canucks organization, playing 41 games with the American Hockey League's Manitoba Moose and three National Hockey League games. With the Moose, Sweatt scored five goals and added nine assists while accumulating 18 penalty minutes. He made his NHL debut in Vancouver on Jan. 26, scoring the game-winning goal in a 2-1 win over the Nashville Predators. He added one assist and two penalty minutes in his three games with Vancouver. An undrafted free-agent, Sweatt signed with Vancouver on May 31, 2010.
The 5-9, 195-pound native of Elburn, Ill., split the 2009-10 season between the Kontinental Hockey League's Riga Dynamo and TPS Turku of the Finnish National League. With Riga he recorded seven points, including two goals and 18 penalty minutes in 37 games. He scored nine goals, seven assists and added eight penalty minutes in 21 games with TPS Turku
Sweatt played four years with the Western Collegiate Athletic Association's Colorado College Tigers, before making his professional debut following the completion of his senior season, recording one assist in 11 games on an amateur tyrout with the AHL's San Antonio Rampage in 2006-07. He spent the 2007-08 season with TPS Turku before joining Salzburg EC of the Austrian Hockey League for 2008-09.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from July 11, 2011
- Amerks Alumni Will Host Craig Charron Memorial Events this Summer - Rochester Americans
- Blackhawks Agree to Terms with Klinkhammer and Richards - Rockford IceHogs
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Forwards Dane Byers and Martin St. Pierre - Springfield Falcons
- Senators Sign Defenceman Tim Conboy to a One-Year Contract - Binghamton Senators
- Anaheim Ducks Sign Right Wing Dan Sexton - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL Names Recipient of Michael Condon Memorial Award - AHL
- Senators Sign Defenceman Lee Sweatt to a One-Year Contract - Binghamton Senators
- Capitals Sign Center Christian Hanson - Hershey Bears
- Bears Sign Wellar, Brouillette for 2011-12 - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.