Schmid Named to All-USHL Third Team
RALSTON, NE - The United States Hockey League announced today the All-USHL teams, USHL All-Rookie teams, USHL All-Academic team, Scholar-Athlete Award, and Curt Hammer Award, recipients. Winners for the All-USHL teams and USHL All-Rookie teams are determined by a vote of League general managers. One Lancer was awarded the leagues yearly honor.
Akira Schmid received the All-USHL Third Team Goaltender. Schmid split the honor with Muskegon Lumberjacks goalie, Brandon Bussi.
To start the season, Akira found himself in Lethbridge with the Hurricanes where he played in one game. He then was sent south to play in the sun with the Corpus Christi IceRays of the NAHL. Schmid would then make his debut as a Lancer on November 3rd at Sioux City. From then, Akira made his way as the Lancers starting netminder. The Bern, Switzerland native was called to play for his country this season as well in the IIHF World Junior Classic where he played in 3 games. While wearing the Red and White for Switzerland, Schmid totaled a 4.13 GAA and a .876 SV%.
After returning to the USHL, Akira played lights out for Omaha and ended the season being ranked the second best goalie in the league. Schmid was named goaltender of the week on February, 11th 2019. Schmid was also drafted last year by the New Jersey Devils in the fifth round, pick 136 overall.
"Akira was our MVP and best player this past year," General Manager and Head Coach David Wilkie said. "He most certainly deserves any award or accolade that comes his way, and we are extremely happy for him. We also look forward to the 2019-2020 season in Omaha with Akira as a major piece of our hockey team once again."
Schmid ended his first season in Omaha statistically finishing second amongst the league's goaltenders with a 2.18 GAA and a .926 SV% in the 37 games he played (16-14-0-2).
Images from this story
Omaha Lancers goaltender Akira Schmid
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 23, 2019
- Eleven Times Shorthanded - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Chicago Answers Back with 3-1 Game 3 Win in Cedar Rapids - Chicago Steel
- Capitols Select Two in Dispersal Draft - Madison Capitols
- Four Steel Players Earn End-Of-Season Honors - Chicago Steel
- 3 Musketeers Make Named to All USHL Teams - Sioux City Musketeers
- Riders' Walsh Wins USHL Curt Hammer Award - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- McCormick Awarded USHL Scholar-Athlete Award - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Four Hawks Recognized by USHL - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Meyers and Nodler Named to All-USHL Teams - Fargo Force
- Yakovenko, Afanasyev, Bussi, Belpedio Named to All-USHL Teams - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Schmid Named to All-USHL Third Team - Omaha Lancers
- USHL Announces End of Year Honors - USHL
- Gameday Preview: Storm Set for Road Battle in Game #3 of Western Conference Semifinal - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.