McCormick Awarded USHL Scholar-Athlete Award
DUBUQUE, Iowa - Mason McCormick was awarded the USHL Scholar-Athlete Award for his excellence off the ice this season in Dubuque. The award is given annually to the "most exemplary student in the USHL." McCormick becomes the second Fighting Saint in a row to win the award after forward Alex Steeves took home the honor last season.
"This is great recognition for Mason," said head coach Oliver David. "He has worked hard on and off the ice this season and it's always nice to be acknowledged for that. Congratulations to Academic Coordinator JoAnne Gibson as well, as Mason joins a long list of student athletes that have come through Dubuque and advanced their hockey careers as a result of her academic guidance and knowledge of the NCAA eligibility process."
McCormick displayed a consistent attitude of hard work on the ice this season for Dubuque, but his work ethic off the ice was equally, if not more admirable. McCormick boasted a cumulative 3.9 GPA this season, excelling at every level off the ice.
"I love teaching, so it is a privilege to work with the Saints' players to continue their education and maintain good grades," said Gibson. "Mason didn't often need my help doing his school work just a challenge now and then to get it completed on time. Congratulations to Mason on earning recognition from the league for his top of the chart GPA. And thanks to the teachers and administration at Dubuque Senior High School for working with these student athletes."
Not only did McCormick claim the top academic award, but Ty Jackson was also recognized by the league for his academic achievements. Jackson was superb in the classroom this season for Dubuque, in addition to adding a fantastic season on the ice. With Jackson and McCormick gaining honors Dubuque has now had a player receive the Scholar-Athlete Award in back to back seasons and also have landed five players on the All-Academic team in the last two years.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 23, 2019
- Eleven Times Shorthanded - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Chicago Answers Back with 3-1 Game 3 Win in Cedar Rapids - Chicago Steel
- Capitols Select Two in Dispersal Draft - Madison Capitols
- Four Steel Players Earn End-Of-Season Honors - Chicago Steel
- 3 Musketeers Make Named to All USHL Teams - Sioux City Musketeers
- Riders' Walsh Wins USHL Curt Hammer Award - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- McCormick Awarded USHL Scholar-Athlete Award - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Four Hawks Recognized by USHL - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Meyers and Nodler Named to All-USHL Teams - Fargo Force
- Yakovenko, Afanasyev, Bussi, Belpedio Named to All-USHL Teams - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Schmid Named to All-USHL Third Team - Omaha Lancers
- USHL Announces End of Year Honors - USHL
- Gameday Preview: Storm Set for Road Battle in Game #3 of Western Conference Semifinal - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.