San Diego Loyal SC Coached by U.S. Soccer Legend Landon Donovan Visits Cashman Field this Saturday
(Las Vegas, NV) -- Lights FC is hoping to win the season series against San Diego Loyal SC this weekend when the teams face off for the third time after a draw & a loss in the first two match-ups. The teams tied 1-1 when they met for the first time back on March 7th in both teams' season opener. Then, after a nearly five-month break due to COVID-19, the teams met again in San Diego with Lights FC losing by one goal. Now, in the final regular-season match-up between the teams, the teams meet at Cashman Field where Lights FC is known for its home-field advantage with close to 8,000 fans per match. However, due to health & safety restrictions implemented by the State of Nevada, the match will have a different atmosphere since it will be played behind closed doors with no fans permitted to attend.
San Diego is managed by Landon Donovan who is one of the most well-known figures in the history of American soccer. Donovan retired as the all-time leading goal scorer for the U.S. Men's National Team and led his hometown Los Angeles Galaxy to multiple Major League Soccer Cup championships. Interestingly, Donovan launched his MLS career playing for the San Jose Earthquakes where he was coached by current Lights FC Head Coach Frank Yallop where both men helped lead the Earthquakes to two MLS Cups during their time together. Both Donovan & Yallop remain friends to this day adding yet another layer of intrigue to Saturday's match-up.
Lights FC is coming off its home opener last weekend where it lost to in-state rival Reno despite having more shots, more shots on goal, and more possession. Due to COVID-19, the Lights FC are playing a shortened 16-match season with a "hyper regionalized" group featuring San Diego, Orange County, Phoenix & Los Angeles where only two of the five teams from the group will qualify for the playoffs making Saturday's group match that much more important in the standings.
The match kicks off at 7:30 pm PT and will air live on ESPN+. A limited number of media are permitted to attend by submitting an RSVP
NEW PLAYER SIGNING - SETH MOSES: In addition, Lights FC also announced the signing of Seth Moses to the 2020 roster. Moses is a veteran player who has played professionally in multiple countries (U.S., Korea, Austria, Liechtenstein & Puerto Rico), including previously in USL Championship for Orange County, Indianapolis, and Fresno. Specifically, at Fresno FC, Moses was part of a roster built by current Lights FC Head Coach Frank Yallop when he previously served as Fresno FC's General Manager. Moses, a native of Baltimore, is expected to provide an immediate impact on the current squad starting with this weekend's home match against San Diego Loyal SC.
INJURY UPDATE - SEKU CONNEH: Lights FC also announced the unfortunate news that striker Seku Conneh has suffered a lower-body injury during the July 25th match against San Diego Loyal that requires surgery. He is expected to be out for approximately two months. The 24-year old Conneh, who previously played within the world-renowned youth academy of European soccer powerhouse Ajax FC, was expected to be a regular starter for the Club prior to the injury. "Seku is a great talent and will definitely be missed," said Yallop. "Fortunately, this is an injury where a full recovery is expected but obviously the timing is far from ideal considering the shortened season footprint this year."
DATE CHANGE -- AT LOS ANGELES GALAXY II MATCH MOVED BACK ONE DAY: It was also announced today that Lights FC's originally scheduled match at Los Angeles Galaxy II for Saturday, August 29th has been moved back to the following day. The match will now kick-off on Sunday, August 30th at 2 pm.
About Las Vegas Lights FC Las Vegas Lights FC is a member of the United Soccer League featuring 35 professional teams across the country. Lights FC launched in 2018 and plays its home games at Cashman Field in downtown Las Vegas. Averaging over 7,000+ fans per match in its history the Club is increasingly known for its unique promotions & marketing which has caused Sports Illustrated to name it "The Most Interesting Team in America."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 6, 2020
- Game Information - SAFC at OKC Energy FC - San Antonio FC
- San Antonio FC to Play in Closed Stadium through Next Three Matches - San Antonio FC
- Switchbacks FC Match vs New Mexico Moved to Colorado Springs - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Laurent to Miss Remainder of Season with Torn ACL - Birmingham Legion FC
- North Carolina FC to Face Memphis 901 FC in ESPN Game of the Week on Saturday - North Carolina FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. New York Red Bulls II - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Rowdies Defense Showing Chemistry, Resolve - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- San Diego Loyal SC Coached by U.S. Soccer Legend Landon Donovan Visits Cashman Field this Saturday - Las Vegas Lights FC
- FC Tulsa Harkens Back to NASL Roughnecks with Latest Merch Line - FC Tulsa
- LA Galaxy II New Match Dates Announced - LA Galaxy II
- Preview: Tacoma Defiance Comes to Reno in 1868 FC Home Opener - Reno 1868 FC
- Battery Earn Draw in Stoppage Time - Charleston Battery
- STLFC Scores Late to Draw 1-1 against Sporting KC II - Saint Louis FC
- Legion FC Attack Runs Wild in 4-1 Win over Charlotte - Birmingham Legion FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Lights FC Stories
- Lights FC Closes 2020 Season
- Late Equalizers Lifts Lights FC to Draw with LA Galaxy II
- Lights FC Heads to Southern California for Two-Match Road Trip
- 11-Year Major League Soccer Veteran MLS Cup Champion Quincy Amarikwa Signs with Lights FC
- Lights FC Crushes Orange County's Undefeated Record with 3-1 Win