San Diego Gulls Name Sylvain Lefebvre and David Urquhart Assistant Coaches
SAN DIEGO - The San Diego Gulls announced today that the American Hockey League (AHL) club has named Sylvain Lefebvre and David Urquhart as assistant coaches. Lefebvre and Urquhart join Head Coach Dallas Eakins, Assistant Coach Brett Ferguson and Goaltending Coach J.F. Labbe on the Gulls coaching staff.
Lefebvre spent the previous six seasons as Head Coach of the Montreal Canadiens' primary AHL affiliate in Hamilton (2012-15), St. John's (2015-17) and Laval (2017-18). Prior to his AHL assignment with Montreal, he served as Assistant Coach with the Colorado Avalanche for three seasons (2009-12) after spending two years (2007-09) as Assistant Coach with the Avalanche's AHL affiliate in Lake Erie.
Lefebvre is a veteran of 945 career NHL games with Montreal, Toronto, Quebec/Colorado and the New York Rangers. He recorded 30-154=184 points with a +108 rating during his 14-year NHL career. Lefebvre was part of Colorado's first Stanley Cup championship team in 1996 and went on to appear in 129 career Stanley Cup Playoff games. Lefebvre also played parts of four AHL seasons with Sherbrooke (1986-89) and Hartford (2001-02), earning 18-61=79 points in 171 career regular-season games.
Urquhart recently completed his fourth season as Assistant Coach with McGill University in Montreal. He also served as Head Coach of Team Serbia at the 2018 IIHF World Hockey Championship Division II. Urquhart appeared in 130 career AHL games, collecting 6-17=23 points with a +8 rating with Hartford (2008-10) and Hamilton (2010-11). The Thorold, Ontario native also played three seasons in Italy from 2011-14, highlighted by a league championship victory in 2013-14.
Urquhart played four collegiate seasons with the McGill Redmen from 2004-08 and earned a commerce degree in 2008. A three-time All-Star with the Redmen, Urquhart recorded 23-84=107 points in 147 career games and led McGill to the Ontario University Athletics conference championship as captain in 2007-08. Urquhart concluded his time at McGill tied with Mike Babcock as the sixth-highest scoring defenseman in Redmen history. Urquhart is scheduled to be inducted to the McGill Sports Hall of Fame on Oct. 11.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from August 27, 2018
- Watch a Game Ice-Level, Next to the Team Bench in the Ice Box - Rockford IceHogs
- Roadrunners to Partner with KVOA for Athlete of the Week - Tucson Roadrunners
- San Diego Gulls Name Sylvain Lefebvre and David Urquhart Assistant Coaches - San Diego Gulls
- Rangers Announce 2018 Traverse City Tournament Roster - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rampage Announce Hockey Staff Additions - San Antonio Rampage
- Marlies Announce Single Game Tickets On-Sale Date and Promotional Schedule - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Announce 2018-19 Promotional Schedule - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Announce Single Game Tickets on Sale - Toronto Marlies
- Checkers Announce 2018-19 Promotions Schedule - Charlotte Checkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Gulls Stories
- San Diego Gulls Defenseman Jamie Drysdale Named CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month
- Special Teams Not Enough in Loss to Henderson
- Gulls Topped by Henderson, 3-2
- San Diego Gulls and California Coast Credit Union to Host Book and Learning Supply Drive Benefitting Words Alive
- San Diego Gulls Announce Time Change to March 13 Game