San Diego Defends US Open Title over Cincinnati Kings
Cincinnati (March 17, 2012) -- In a rematch of last year's final, the San Diego Sockers retain the US Open professional indoor soccer championship with a 13-6 win over the Cincinnati Kings Saturday night at the Cincinnati Gardens.
With the win, the Sockers how hold a 37 game win streak and add the US Open title to their other championships this season, the Ron Newman Cup (PASL Championship) and the FIFRA Club Championship. Last year the Sockers defeated the Kings for the Cup in an identical 13-6 score.
The US Open for Arena Soccer is a national open single-elimination tournament, featuring teams from the PASL, PASL-Premier, and independent teams. San Diego is the three-time champion, having beaten Louisville and Cincinnati in the two previous finals.
The Sockers wasted no time getting on the scoreboard, as Majell Aterado scored for San Diego less than a minute into the first quarter. Aaron Susi scored moments later to give San Diego a 2-0 lead in the first before the Kings Jeff Henderson scored to cut the San Diego lead in half. Two more Sockers goals gave the visitors a 4-1 lead after one, and three unanswered goals in the second stretched the lead to 7-1 before Chris Dobrowolski scored with a minute left in the period to make it a 7-2 game at the half.
The game turned defensive in the third until the Kings Kwame Sarkodie scored on a power play with six minutes left to make the score 7-3, San Diego. A quick Kraig Chiles goal for San Diego was answered by two from the Kings, by Drew Ducker and Shawn Rockey, to make the score 8-5 after three. The two teams swapped goals at the start of the fourth, with the Kings Sam Fiore scoring to make it an 8-6 contest but the Kings never got closer than that as San Diego added another score. After the Kings pulled goalkeeper Craig Salvati, the Sockers scored two quick goals to make it a 12-6 game then tacked on one more empty-netter to make it a 13-6 final.
• Discuss this story on the Professional Arena Soccer League message board...
Professional Arena Soccer League Stories from March 17, 2012
- Perfection: Sockers cap undefeated season with 13-6 win over Cincinnati in US Open Final - San Diego Sockers
- San Diego Defends US Open Title over Cincinnati Kings - Cincinnati Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cincinnati Kings Stories
- San Diego Defends US Open Title over Cincinnati Kings
- Kings host PASL Champs, San Diego, on Saturday for US Open finals
- Kings look to end San Diego's 34-game winning streak with US Open win
- Kings drop one to Detroit, turn focus to US Open Championship
- Waza Spoil Kings' Playoff Hopes Before Record Crowd