San Antonio FC Puts in Strong Performace in 2-3 Loss to FC Dallas
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC fell to FC Dallas 2-3 at Toyota Field on Saturday night despite a strong showing from the Alamo City club. Goals from defender Connor Maloney and midfielder Jose Gallegos were not enough to earn a result after FC Dallas scored three late goals in quick succession.
"There were a lot of positives," SAFC Head Coach Alen Marcina said. "There were a lot of moments in which we made it difficult for a very good FC Dallas team. Our hope was to achieve our tactical and behavioral objectives, and I think the fans saw a taste of our team identity, and hopefully they're excited to see what lies ahead."
SAFC opened the scoring in the 66th minute after SAFC Pro Academy player Abraham Lincon drew a penalty shortly after coming into the match as a substitute, which Maloney converted from the spot to earn the lead.
The Alamo City club added their second goal of the night just six minutes later after Gallegos dribbled up the field and buried a shot far-post past goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez to make it 2-0.
FC Dallas then pulled off the comeback win after scoring three goals in the final six minutes of the match from midfielders Ricardo Pepi and Michael Barrios as well as a late-winner from defender Reto Ziegler. The two sides then played an additional 30-minute scrimmage which ended in a 1-0 win for FC Dallas.
Three SAFC Pro Academy players were able to see game action in the second half with Lincon, Sebastian Mercado and Fabricio Bernal earning minutes. SAFC and FC Dallas ended the night with a 30-minute scrimmage following the 90-minute preseason match.
SAFC will return to preseason action as the team travels to face MLS side Orlando City SC on Friday, Feb. 21.
SAFC: 1-0, Connor Maloney (penalty) 66'
SAFC: 2-0, Jose Gallegos (Jesus Enriquez assist) 73'
FCD: 2-1, Ricardo Pepi (Michael Barrios assist) 84'
FCD: 2-2, Michael Barrios 88'
FCD: 2-3, Reto Ziegler 90'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Joshua Yaro) 28'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Blake Smith) 53'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Fabricio Bernal) 85'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Sebastian Mercado) 90'
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Matthew Cardone (Dayne St. Clair 45'); D: Connor Maloney, Joshua Yaro (Trialist 45), Hunter Gorskie (Trialist 83'), Callum Montgomery, Blake Smith; M: Hayden Partain (Santiago Viera 62'), Zach Herivaux (*Sebastian Mercado 83'), Jesus Enriquez (*Fabricio Bernal 75'); F: Jose Gallegos, Ignacio Bailone (*Abraham Lincon 63')
*SAFC Pro Academy Player
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 13, 2020
- SD Loyal Names Stone Brewing as Its Inaugural Kit Partner - San Diego Loyal
- SD Loyal Signs Trio of Defensive Players - San Diego Loyal
- Rising FC Announces Official Supporter Nights for 2020 - Phoenix Rising FC
- Miami FC and New York City FC Play to Scoreless Draw in Preseason Friendly - Miami FC
- Real Monarchs Inks Midfielder Arturo Rodriguez on Loan from North Texas SC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Preseason: Week 2 Preview - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- T2 Name Eric Kronberg Goalkeeper Coach - Portland Timbers 2
- USL Strikes Exclusive Partnership with Lagardere Sports - USL
- New Mexico United's Roster Continues to Grow with the Addition of Rookie Midfielder - New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Puts in Strong Performace in 2-3 Loss to FC Dallas - San Antonio FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- Statement from San Antonio FC Managing Director Tim Holt
- San Antonio FC Earns 1-0 Victory over Reigning Champions Real Monarchs SLC
- San Antonio FC Hosts USL Championship Title Holders in Season Opener
- San Antonio FC Signs Goalkeeper Carlos Mercado
- San Antonio FC Announces Fox Sports Southwest Schedule for 2020 Season