San Antonio FC Play to 2-2 Draw After Strong Performance Against
SAN ANTONIO, TX - - San Antonio FC and Real Monarchs SLC tied 2-2 at Toyota Field on Saturday night in front of 7,642 fans. Goals from Devin Vega and Kris Tyrpak earned SAFC a point at home against the USL leaders after a late equalizer.
"I think if you came to tonight's game, you came out of it very entertained," SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell said. "The guys played very well and worked extremely hard and got in a position to win the game, but unfortunately we conceded one at the end of the match."
Vega opened the scoring in the 27th minute when midfielder Billy Forbes found him with a pass at the top of the box. The San Antonio native shot low across the goal to tally his third goal of the season. Forbes has now tallied five assists on the season, which lead the team. Real Monarchs then equalized with a converted penalty by Chandler Hoffman just five minutes later.
SAFC midfielder Tyrpak regained the lead for the hosts in the 68th minute after defender Sebastien Ibeagha played a ball across the mouth of the goal following a set piece, which Tyrpak rushed to finish from point-blank range for the 2-1 lead. The goal marked Tyrpak's fourth of the season and Ibeagha's second assist for the club.
The visitors then leveled the score again in the 85th minute after Max Lachowecki placed a header past SAFC goalkeeper Diego Restrepo from a Chase Minter cross, marking just the second time this season that SAFC has conceded two goals in a match. The last time the Silver and Black conceded multiple goals in a single game was on April 25 in their 3-2 win at Seattle Sounders 2.
The 7,642 fans at Toyota Field marked the fourth-highest attendance at Toyota Field this season. The club has only recorded higher attendances in its three sellouts of the season so far on July 14, May 13, and its home opener on April 1.
"The fans' support was huge tonight," Tyrpak said. "It was the loudest I've heard them since I've been here, and to go against the first-place team and have the fans behind us being the loudest they could be was huge."
San Antonio FC will return to action on Saturday, July 29 as they visit Phoenix Rising FC in the second matchup between the two clubs this season. SAFC will then return to San Antonio on Saturday, August 5 as they host Orange County SC at Toyota Field.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 23, 2017
- Reno 1868 FC takes on Portland Timbers - Portland Timbers 2
- San Antonio FC Play to 2-2 Draw After Strong Performance Against - San Antonio FC
- Tampa Bay Rowdies Blank Charleston in Home Win - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Hounds Scrap to Nil-Nil Draw in Rochester - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Eliminated from Playoffs After Extra Time Goal for New Mexico
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Falls 1-2 to Austin Bold in Final Match of Regular Season
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC at Austin Bold FC
- San Antonio FC First-Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Now