San Antonio FC Earns Point After 1-1 Draw in Las Vegas
LAS VEGAS - San Antonio FC (2-1-4) shared the points with the Las Vegas Lights (1-4-1) at Cashman Field on Friday night. An early goal from SAFC defender Joaquin Varela was canceled out by a late Las Vegas penalty, as the sides finished the game even.
"Las Vegas posed a good challenge," said SAFC Head Coach Alen Marcina. "They brought a lot of energy and intensity. I felt we were very organized defensively and created enough opportunities to get more than just one goal, but there are details that we have to refine, improve and learn from to get better."
SAFC got on the board first in the ninth minute when a corner kick from midfielder Emil Cuello found the foot of Varela who placed the shot into the far corner of the net. The goal was the second within the first 15 minutes of a match for SAFC this season, and eighth overall since the start of 2020. The goal was Varela's first for the club, while the assist marked Cuello's team-leading second in 2021.
Las Vegas looked to get back into the game and created chances during the first-half, forcing some good saves from Matthew Cardone who recorded three on the night, taking his SAFC record to 251 all-time. With both teams exchanging attacking blows in the second-half, Las Vegas earned a penalty kick after San Antonio midfielder Ollie Wright committed a foul in the box. Cal Jennings scored the PK for the Lights, which was enough to take a point.
SAFC defender Sam Gleadle was named the SWBC Man of the Match after leading the team with four interceptions and 11 possessions gained to go with two chances created and 23 successful passes. Gleadle also won 71.4 percent of his duels and 100 percent of his aerial duels.
San Antonio FC will endure its first short turnaround of the season as it travels to face New Mexico United on Wednesday, June 16 at 8:30 p.m. central time. Following the match, SAFC returns home to face RGV FC on June 19 at Toyota Field.
SAFC: 1-0, Joaquin Varela (Emil Cuello assist) 9'
LV: 1-1, Cal Jennings (penalty) 82'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Cam Lindley) 72'
LV: Yellow Card (Daniel Crisostomo) 72'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Joaquin Varela) 84'
LV: Yellow Card (Julian Vasquez) 88'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Chris Lema) 90'
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Matthew Cardone; D: Joaquin Varela, Axel Sjoberg (c), Liam Doyle; M: Sam Gleadle, Emil Cuello (Ollie Wright 54'), Cam Lindley, Chris Lema; F: Justin Dhillon (Jordan Perruzza 54'), Marcus Epps, Jose Gallegos (Nathan 69')
Substitutions not used: Carlos Mercado, Ethan Bryant, Leo Torres, Shandon Hopeau
SAFC defender Joaquin Varela scored his first goal of the season, giving SAFC the lead in the ninth minute off a set piece...Varela added four tackles, six clearances and two interceptions on the night
SAFC defender Sam Gleadle led the team with four interceptions and 11 possessions gained to go with two tackles...was named the SWBC Man of the Match after completing 23 passes and creating two chances... also won 71.4 percent of his duels and 100 percent of his aerial duels...Gleadle ranks third on the club with 17 tackles, while only conceding three fouls on the season
Tonight's SAFC goal in the ninth minute marked the second goal scored by the club in the first 15 minutes of a match this season, and the eighth since the start of 2020...two of the three fastest goals in SAFC history have come since the start of 2020
San Antonio midfielder Emil Cuello recorded his team-leading second assist of the season...Cuello made his return to the starting lineup after serving a one-game suspension on 6/5 at COS
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 12, 2021
- Legion FC Wins Fourth Game in a Row - Birmingham Legion FC
- LouCity Delights on Grand Opening Night with Win over Memphis - Louisville City FC
- Late Birmingham Goal Denies Energy FC - OKC Energy FC
- Kuzain Steals Three Points for Toros in Win over Real Monarchs - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Memphis 901 FC Defeated on the Road - Memphis 901 FC
- First-Ever Meeting Between Hounds and Miami FC Ends with Home Draw - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Real Monarchs Fall 1-0 to Rio Grande Valley FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Dover Poised to Hit Century Mark in USL Play - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Matchday HQ: Phoenix Rising vs. Tacoma Defiance - Phoenix Rising FC
- Oakland Roots SC at Orange County SC Match Notes - Oakland Roots
- Athletic Hit the Road for Big Clash with Charlotte Independence - Hartford Athletic
- Former Premier League Forward Jon Stead Joins Hartford Athletic as Assistant Coach - Hartford Athletic
- Miami FC Drives New Community Engagement Through Partnership with GameOn Technology - Miami FC
- San Antonio FC Earns Point After 1-1 Draw in Las Vegas - San Antonio FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Falls 1-2 at Home to El Paso Locomotive FC
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. ELP
- San Antonio FC Defeats New Mexico United 3-0 in Front of National Television Audience
- San Antonio FC Signs Midfielder Mohammed Abu
- San Antonio FC Earns First Road Win of the Season, Defeating Switchbacks 3-2