Salmon Kings Receive Four More From Manitoba
Victoria, B.C. - The Victoria Salmon Kings, proud affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks and Manitoba Moose, announced today that the Moose have assigned defenseman Taylor Ellington and forwards Dan Gendur, Scott Howes, and Dirk Southern to Victoria.
Ellington, a Victoria native, joins the Salmon Kings for his first full professional season. The blueliner played 69 games in 2008-09 as a member of the Everett Silvertips of the Western Hockey League (WHL) where he scored 32 points (6g-26a) in 69 games with 130 minutes in penalties. The 20-year-old also participated in five WHL Playoff games this past spring notching five points (0g-5a) and six minutes in penalties. He also played one game for the Moose last season where he scored one goal. Ellington was a second-round pick (#33 overall) of the Vancouver Canucks in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.
Southern enters his first season in Victoria after being acquired from the Gwinnett Gladiators on July 7th. The Anaheim Ducks draft pick (2003, seventh round, #218 overall) split the 2008-09 season between the Gladiators and Manitoba Moose (AHL). Southern collected 14 goals and 32 assists for 46 points in 51 games in Gwinnett with 36 minutes in penalties. During the 2009 Kelly Cup playoffs he scored a goal and added an assist in five games with two minutes in penalties. While with the Moose he suited up for 17 games garnering four points (3g-1a) and 12 penalty minutes
Howes enters his second season with the Salmon Kings after playing in 39 games in Victoria last season scoring 22 points (10g-22a) and adding 15 minutes in penalties. The native of Toronto, Ontario also played in seven Kelly Cup playoff games scoring three points (1g-2a) and serving 19 minutes in penalties.
Gendur also returns to Victoria after participating in 52 games last year for the Salmon Kings scoring 38 points (9g-29a) and tallying 97 minutes in penalties. In two Kelly Cup playoff games this past spring he notched one goal and two assists for three points. The 5-11, 190 lb. forward was a seventh-round draft pick (#206 overall) of the Vancouver Canucks in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.
Season tickets for the Salmon Kings 2009-10 season are on sale. The Salmon Kings kick off their home schedule on October 21st when the Bakersfield Condors come to the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre. Catch all the action by calling 250-220-7889, emailing email@example.com or by visiting www.salmonkings.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from September 28, 2009
- Aces-Killer Added to Roster, Fast & Tuzzolino Return - Alaska Aces
- Salmon Kings Receive Four More From Manitoba - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Condors season kicks off with Open House Saturday - Bakersfield Condors
- K-Wings Announce Promotional Schedule - Kalamazoo Wings
- Utah Grizzlies Hockey: The Ultimate Experience - Utah Grizzlies
- Hope Reigns Over Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Stingrays Are Ready for Ricci - South Carolina Stingrays
- Forward Signings Add Experience, Explosiveness - Johnstown Chiefs
- Royals Kids Club Ready for Fun - Reading Royals
- Former All-Star, Two Rookies Assigned By Hartford - Charlotte Checkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Victoria Salmon Kings Stories
- Royals' Pink In The Rink Almost Sold Out
- Former Salmon Kings' General Manager & Head Coach Named to Winnipeg Jets' AHL Staff
- Salmon Kings Withdraw from ECHL
- Salmon Kings' Season Ends with Game 4 Loss
- Alaska takes 3-0 series lead with 6-2 victory over Victoria