Round Rock Express Reveal Chupacabras Branding for MiLB Co Pa De La Diversion
ROUND ROCK, Texas - Get your cameras ready! The number of Chupacabras sightings in Central Texas is about to skyrocket.
The Round Rock Express unveiled their Round Rock Chupacabras branding for the team's participation in Minor League Baseball's "Copa de la Diversión" Tuesday afternoon. The team will transform into the Chupacabras with custom-designed jerseys and hats for five select games this season.
Copa is a nationwide, season-long event series hosted by MiLB designed to embrace the culture and values that resonate most with participating clubs' local Hispanic and Latino communities. Round Rock was selected as one of 33 MiLB clubs to participate in the inaugural series.
"For more than two years, MiLB's collaborative research with local U.S. Hispanic/Latino civic organizations helped establish potential on-field personas that represented the past, present and future of each market's diverse population," said Kurt Hunzeker, MiLB's Vice President of Marketing Strategy and Research. "This analysis also highlighted opportunities for the participating teams to enhance their gameday experiences with new food-and-beverage offerings, culturally-relevant music, customer service platforms and other fun activities."
The Express chose the Chupacabra as their Copa alter ego because of the alleged urban legend's ties to Central/South Texas after originating in Puerto Rico and spreading throughout Latin America. Much like the Express, the Chupacabra has proven to be difficult to defeat and is most active after the sun goes down. The E-Train embodies the Chupacabra's relentless determination, fierce attitude and superhuman ability to avoid capture.
"Sports teams symbolize their respective community's uniqueness, often adopting nicknames and logos depicting these special traits," Hunzeker said. "MiLB and the participating teams embraced this creative approach when developing the 'Copa de la Diversión' brand identities, and the final designs reflect the unique characteristics of each team's fan base while staying true to MiLB's one-of-a-kind brand of fan-centric fun."
The team will don Chupacabras jerseys and hats on April 8, May 10, June 17, July 29 and August 26. Following the final appearance by the Chupacabras on August 26, the jerseys will be auctioned with proceeds benefiting a local Latino-focused nonprofit organization to be announced. Throughout the season-long campaign, the Chupacabras will be partnering with nearly a dozen other Latino-focused organizations in Central Texas on various philanthropic endeavors.
Round Rock was selected to kick off the 160-game nationwide event series on April 8 as the Chupacabras make their first appearance against the Memphis Redbirds (St. Louis Cardinals affiliate). The 33 participating clubs in the Copa de la Diversión campaign will be vying for a trophy created by MiLB. The trophy will be on hand at Dell Diamond on April 8 before embarking on a 33-city trophy tour.
Fans looking to purchase Round Rock Chupacabras merchandise are in luck as the Railyard Team Store at Dell Diamond will be selling a variety of hats, t-shirts, replica jerseys and other novelty items throughout the season.
The Express open the 2018 season on Thursday, April 5 with a five-game series against the Memphis Redbirds (St. Louis Cardinals affiliate) at Dell Diamond. Single-game tickets, season memberships and flex plan ticket packages are on sale now.
For more information on the Express, visit www.RoundRockExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter!
Images from this story
Round Rock Chupacabras logo
Round Rock Express Chupacabras jersey and hat
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from March 20, 2018
- Storm Chasers Unveil Alternate Identity as the Cazadores de Tormentas - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Greater Nevada Field to Host Free Wolf Pack Sweet 16 Watch Party - Reno Aces
- Minor League Baseball Unveils On-Field Brands for "Copa de la Diversion" - PCL
- Introducing Cielo Azul de Oklahoma City - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees to Become 'Las Abejas' for MiLB Copa de la Diversion - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds to Play as "Memphis Música" in MiLB's "Copa de la Diversion" Series - Memphis Redbirds
- Sky Sox to Host 2018 Fan Fest on April 7 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Isotopes to Become "Mariachis De Nuevo Mexico" for Four Games in 2018 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Round Rock Express Reveal Chupacabras Branding for MiLB Co Pa De La Diversion - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Celebrate Penny Hardaway Hire with the "Welcome (Back for A) Penny Special" - Memphis Redbirds
- Vanderbilt and Belmont Game Postponed - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express Unveil Initial 2021 Health, Safety and Ticketing Procedures
- Big Ten Central Texas Challenge Comes to Dell Diamond March 5-8
- Round Rock Express Announce 2021 Triple-A West Schedule
- Round Rock Express Announce 2021 Coaching Staff
- Round Rock Express Officially Become Triple-A Affiliate of the Texas Rangers