Rochester Americans Sign Mark Voakes to AHL Contract
(Rochester, NY)... Buffalo Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier announced today the Rochester Americans have signed forward Mark Voakes to an American Hockey League (AHL) contract.
Voakes, 27, recorded 11 points (6+5) and six penalty minutes in 18 regular season games for the Portland Pirates of the AHL last season. He also added eight points (3+5) in 10 Calder Cup Playoff games for Portland. Prior to joining the Pirates in March, Voakes appeared in 60 games for Greenville of the ECHL where he registered 54 points (17+37) and 28 PIM.
The 6-foot, 182-pound Voakes split the 2009-10 season between Cincinnati and Bakersfield of the ECHL, recording 21 points (11+10) in 33 total games before notching eight points (3+5) in eight postseason contests for Bakersfield.
Prior to his professional career, Voakes played four seasons of collegiate hockey at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario from 2005 to 2009. A native of St. Thomas, Ontario, Voakes recorded 154 points (56+98) in 102 career games to graduate as the school's fourth all-time leading scorer. He was also the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) Most Valuable Player in 2008-09 and was a two-time First Team All-OUA selection.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from August 9, 2011
- Rochester Americans Sign Mark Voakes to AHL Contract - Rochester Americans
- Sabres Sign Michael Ryan, Paul Szczechura to One-Year Deals - Rochester Americans
- Ron Wilson Named as Assistant Coach of the Hamilton Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Admirals Open at Home October 14 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Simon, Allen Added to IceHogs Coaching Staff - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.