Riptide Inaugural Season over as National Lacrosse League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Regular Season
New York, NY - The inaugural season for the New York Riptide is now concluded as the National Lacrosse announced today that the remainder of the 2019-20 regular season has been cancelled due to concerns over COVID-19.
"We are in the midst of an unprecedented and incredibly trying time in the world and in our hometowns right now," said Rich Lisk, Executive VP of GF Sports. "While we are disappointed that the NLL season has concluded this way, on behalf of everyone at the Riptide and GF Sports, our thoughts are first and foremost with all those that are affected by COVID-19 and we urge everyone to stay safe. We are proud to have brought indoor lacrosse back to Long Island this past year, and now look forward to building on the strong foundation we have established during the Riptide's inaugural season. Thank you to our incredible fans, community partners and sponsors for all your support."
League officials are looking at any number of scenarios to return to play when all stakeholders and health officials deem that possible. There is no timeline on when decisions will be made. The league suspended regular season play on March 12th due to COVID-19. In its inaugural season, the Riptide finished 1-13. They were led offensively by rookie Tyson Gibson with 43 points on 16 goals and 27 assists while Dan Lomas had 42 points on 21 goals and 21 assists. The team captured the first win in franchise history on January 18th against the Georgia Swarm.
In their inaugural season, the Riptide played six games at NYCB LIVE, home of the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum and had a significant impact on the Long Island community. The team donated over 3,000 tickets to local non-profits, bringing the game to those that might not have been able to attend otherwise. They hosted multiple clinics for local lacrosse groups throughout the season and impacted the lives of over 2,000 kids through their anti-bullying and anti-vaping school programs.
Fans who had tickets to the final three games of the Riptide season at NYCB LIVE will receive additional correspondence about their options.
For more information or any questions or concerns, please visit NewYorkRiptide.com or on social media at @NewYorkRiptide.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from April 8, 2020
- Weekly Update from Georgia Swarm President/Co-Owner Andy Arlotta - Georgia Swarm
- FAQ for Bandits Ticket Holders - Buffalo Bandits
- Wings Issue Statement on NLL Season Cancellation - Philadelphia Wings
- National Lacrosse League Announces Cancellation of Remaining Regular Season Games - Georgia Swarm
- Riptide Inaugural Season over as National Lacrosse League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Regular Season - New York Riptide
- National Lacrosse League Cancels Remainder of 2019-2020 Regular Season - Halifax Thunderbirds
- National Lacrosse League Announces Cancellation of Remaining Regular Season Games - NLL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Riptide Stories
- Riptide Acquire Marinier from Philadelphia
- New York Riptide Sign Schott
- New York Riptide Announce Return to MSG Networks for the 2021 National Lacrosse League Season Targeted to Begin in April
- New York Riptide Returning to Nassau Coliseum for 2021 Season; Riptide Targeting to Play NLL Faceoff Weekend April 9-11, 2021
- New York Riptide Sign Robertson