National Lacrosse League Announces Cancellation of Remaining Regular Season Games
April 8, 2020 - National Lacrosse League (NLL) News Release
Philadelphia - The National Lacrosse League (@NLL), the longest running and most successful professional lacrosse league in the world, today announced that the League will cancel the remainder of the regular season. League officials are looking at any number of scenarios to return to play when all stakeholders and health officials deem that possible. There is no timeline on when decisions will be made. The league suspended regular season play on March 12th due to COVID-19.
"With three weekends left in the regular season and the uncertainty about resumption during that time, we decided it is in the best interests of our players, coaches, staff, partners and fans to remove any uncertainty. Our goal is to find the best, and safest, solution for resumption of play, but what that looks like, and when that occurs, cannot be determined today," said NLL Commissioner Nick Sakiewicz. "Our primary focus is the long term health of all involved in the sport of lacrosse from a personal and a business standpoint, and we are consulting with our board, medical and municipal authorities, as well as leadership in other organizations across sports and entertainment, to determine when we will be able to effectively move forward. Whenever that is, we have plans in place that continue to evolve, and we will be ready to restart the process correctly and effectively."
"We continue to be in regular contact with the NLL and support their recent decision to halt the regular season, while continuing to figure out what a next step looks like," said Peter Schmitz, PLPA President. "Our primary focus remains the health and safety of our members and their input will be the deciding factor. We recognize the challenges that are presented with the unpredictability of the circumstances in which we find ourselves and will consider all options as presented by Nick and the NLL Leadership. We remain positive and optimistic for a return to the floor in the appropriate timeframe. "
Those options will be outlined in more detail as the situation becomes clearer across North America in the coming weeks.
For the most up to date information and breaking news, sign up for the NLL newsletter at NLL.com. Also follow Deputy Commissioner Jessica Berman and Commissioner Sakiewicz on Twitter @JessicaBerman1 and @NLLcommish, respectively.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from April 8, 2020
- Weekly Update from Georgia Swarm President/Co-Owner Andy Arlotta - Georgia Swarm
- FAQ for Bandits Ticket Holders - Buffalo Bandits
- Wings Issue Statement on NLL Season Cancellation - Philadelphia Wings
- National Lacrosse League Announces Cancellation of Remaining Regular Season Games - Georgia Swarm
- Riptide Inaugural Season over as National Lacrosse League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Regular Season - New York Riptide
- National Lacrosse League Cancels Remainder of 2019-2020 Regular Season - Halifax Thunderbirds
- National Lacrosse League Announces Cancellation of Remaining Regular Season Games - NLL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.