RGV FC Makes Bold Statement Winning 3-1 over Austin
EDINBURG, Texas - The Rio Grande Valley FC and Austin Bold FC played two 45-minute matches and one of 35. After a 1-1 draw in the first match, the Toros took the lead with a 1-0 in the second match. The Toros ended the match with 1-0 marking a 3-1 overall score.
The first match kicked off in the 3rd minute with a through ball from Wilmer A. Cabrera to Carlos Small. Small chips the ball over Bold's goalkeeper scoring the first goal of the match. In the 19th minute, Austin Bold took a free kick and fortunately for the Toros, goalkeeper Nico Corti saved the shot by deflecting the ball to the left side of the field. The Toros defending line relaxed for a minute and Austin took advantage the opportunity as they chipped the ball over Corti marking the equalizer.
In the second match, RGV FC trialist took advantage of a pass as he shot up toward the top part of the goal and sent it to the back of the net getting the lead for the Toros. Victor Garza, returning after a knee injury, had two dangerous shots but didn't manage to get the goal.
Third match came around and RGV FC was still being a threat on Austin's arc. Toros forward, Nico Lemoine grabbed the ball, hitting the goal post in the 99th minute. Right after, RGV FC trialist sent a cross but unfortunately, Bold's keeper deflected preventing the third goal of the game. Toros newcomer Ben Willis started as a keeper in the third match. In the 107th minute, he was tested when Bold's offensive line sent a header, but Willis prevented the equalizer. RGV FC trialist slammed a shot to Bold's keeper but was blocked after a Toros corner kick. One minute later, Bold fouled inside the box causing a penalty kick. Garza took the penalty and sent it to the right side of the goal marking the third goal overall of the match.
Rio Grande Valley FC Toros will return to action as they continue their preseason matches at San Antonio FC on Friday, March 1. Tipoff will be at 1 p.m. CST at Toyota Field.
Scoring Summary: RGVFC - Small 3' (Assisted by A. Cabrera), RGV FC Trialist 51', Garza 109' (PK);
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 23, 2019
- RGV FC Makes Bold Statement Winning 3-1 over Austin - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- San Antonio FC Earns Two Draws in Preseason Matches vs. El Paso - San Antonio FC
- Battery Burned Late by Fire - Charleston Battery
- Fury FC Fall to Philadelphia Union in Preseason Contest - Ottawa Fury FC
- STLFC Wins 3-1 over Tulsa Roughnecks FC in Preseason Friendly - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Stories
- Small Named to USL Championship Team of the Week
- Small Leads the Toros to Victory over the Switchbacks
- Match Preview: Toros Host Switchbacks on Lucha Libre Night
- Houston Dynamo Sign FW Michael Salazar from RGV FC
- Small's Brace Not Enough for Toros against Monarchs